Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Steam & Excursion > 3 days of Southern steam in 3 states..2012 steam finale

Date: 11/17/12 15:27
3 days of Southern steam in 3 states..2012 steam finale
Author: EMBell

Over the past month, Carmon and I have been on the road a lot. Between heritage units, the EMDX 1201, my stepped up efforts of documenting the Southern searchlight signals on the CNO&TP and the steam trips, we have logged over 3k miles since the first of October.

The steam trips where probably some of the best days we spent out, shooting Southern 630 as she powered a TVRM trip over the C&C shortline plus the mainline trips this past weekend. Steam will always be my first priority when it comes to trains, and all of the driving and time away from home is well worth it for the results we had. Good weather, bad weather, good color, no color, rain, clouds...its all good with me if there is steam on the point (and you wont hear any complaints about a diesel helper either..in this day and age, we should be happy to have what we do)..

I have finished up processing all of my favorites of these 630 trips, and have them up on Pbase. We still have a metric ton of other material to wade through (if I dont slow down, my camera is gonna go on strike!) but for now, check this link for 50 or so new images of SR 630 doing her thing in Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama. >>>>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nssteam12

Here are a few small samples of what you will find on my Pbase site.

Saturday October 27th we enjoyed a day with the 630 as she ran from Chattanooga to Summerville Ga and back over the The Chattooga and Chickamauga Railway. The day was cloudy, but that really helped any a lot of places that would have otherwise been backlit if the sun had been out.

#1 Southbound 630 is about to top over the big hill near Rossville Ga, with Lookout Mountain looming in the distance.

#2 My favorite shot of this trip was at Rock Springs Ga, as 630 pounded up the mountain past the old store.

#3 Late in the day, 630 eases down the mountain on the North side of Rossville Ga, surrounded by the Fall color and Kudzu.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 15:36 by EMBell.

Date: 11/17/12 15:31
Southern Steam on the AGS North

Saturday November 10th, NS operated a public excursion from Chattanooga to Attalla Alabama and return, over the AGS North district. The weather was about as perfect as you could ask for, and it was great to see some new territory. The scenery was a lot better than I had expected!

#4 Southbound 630 passes the rather unique Southern depot at Fort Payne, Alabama

#5 Northbound near Valley Head, Alabama in some awesome light. A lot of folks didnt bother with the Northbound part of this trip, figuring the light would be bad. Seeing as how I didnt really care about shooting the same old head on nose shots as everyone else, it worked out rather well.

#6 The late evening light makes the colors on the flanks of Lookout Mountain really pop, as the train sprints through Cloverdale Ga

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 15:37 by EMBell.

Date: 11/17/12 15:34
Southern Steam on the CNO&TP

Sunday November 11th, NS ran another public trip up the CNO&TP from Chattanooga TN to Harriman and return. This was the first time since 1993 that steam had operated on my favorite line. We had great weather for the Northbound run, but the clouds had started to roll in by the time they headed back North.

#7 Northbound 955 crosses the TN river as the train departs Chattanooga on a chilly morning.

#8 630 rolls up the valley at South Roddy TN, with a little fall color still showing on Waldens ridge.

#9 With the clouds now in full control, 630 brings the train around the reverse curve at Watts Bar TN, just South of Spring City.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 15:38 by EMBell.

Date: 11/17/12 16:16
Re: Southern Steam on the CNO&TP
Author: RuleG

Your second photo is a classic. Very nicely composed.

Date: 11/17/12 17:51
Author: Alco251

Time well spent!

Date: 11/18/12 01:35
Author: jmbreitigan

Excellent work.
John

Date: 11/18/12 06:06
Author: LoggerHogger

Very well done. #2 is my favorite!

Martin

Date: 11/18/12 08:29
Author: YG

Fantastic series! Thanks for "taking the time" to track steam, and for sharing.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds