Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Steam & Excursion > 3751 in some unusual settings.

Date: 11/17/12 18:54
3751 in some unusual settings.
Author: Alco251

As I play around with my new slide scanner, I'm finding some shots here and there that might be of interest to Southern California observers of the changing railroad landscape.

1. 3751 and train roar westbound through Arcadia, Calif., December 30, 1991, homeward-bound on the last leg of her inaugural LA-Barstow-Bakersfield round trip. The Santa Fe Second District is one of her old haunts. Today, the Santa Fe is no more, the Second District now comprises a good chunk of the Metrolink San Gabriel Subdivision and here in Arcadia, rails are being ripped out and will soon be replaced by the extension of the MTA's Gold Line light rail, whose tracks occupy most of the west end of the old Santa Fe Second District.

2. Same train as above, drifting downgrade thru Highland Park, as seen from the Southwest Museum parking lot. The double-track Gold Line occupies this right of way now.

3. Eleven days before the above pictures, Santa Fe 3751, unassisted by diesels, with a short train preparing to depart San Bernardino on her first main line break-in run, a San Bernardino-LA-San Bernardino trip via the Third District westbound, returning on the Second District via Pasadena. This aerial view, Decenber 20, 1991, gives a nice view of the old Santa Fe San Bernardino shops complex, where 3751 and her ilk were maintained for years. Today, all the shop complex is gone, and a very busy BNSF intermodal terminal occupies the same real estate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 18:56 by Alco251.

Date: 11/17/12 19:04
Re: 3751 in some unusual settings.
Author: DNRY122

Let us not forget that the Metrolink ownership of the eastern part of the 2nd District and the western part of the Pacific Electric San Bernardino Line makes it easier to arrange LA to San Berdoo runs of 3751 for San Bernardino railroad events.

And another shot of the Arcadia scene from 1991 was posted recently; I quoted an old show business adage: "Give the people what they want and they'll turn out in droves."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 19:08 by DNRY122.

Date: 11/17/12 19:06
Author: nycman

Well, that brought back some great memories. My wife and I rode the Barstow-Bakersfield leg and then the return to Barstow. This trip is what started me back into the railfan mode. Sure wish the 3751 could get out more often.

Date: 11/17/12 19:23
Author: The_Chief_Way

keep scanning !

Date: 11/17/12 23:08
Author: robertsdavid

Another thing that changes is the diesels in the consist. While we would like to ideally see the steam engine unassisted, I don't think there would be too many complaints with these two diesels back in a consist today.

Date: 11/18/12 08:38
Author: Txhighballer

I wondered if they had considered having two of the extant FP45's returnd to them for just that purpose? If they would be fitted with a HEP genset, they would make great back up power, and they could be leased out when not needed.

Date: 11/18/12 16:54
Author: DocJones

Great memories. RE: the Arcadia shot. I was just down the road west of the Colorado St. overpass with my fire-breathing Pentax VHS camera-tape deck outfit.
Who remembers those?
RE: shot #3. Man, the wind was just howling that day - remember? If you were in an aircraft you were getting a real ride in the wind shear below the Pass. Been there, done that.

Have fun, be safe,
Bruce "Doc" Jones
Sierra Madre CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/12 16:56 by DocJones.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds