Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Steam & Excursion > 614 in Green

Date: 11/23/12 07:32
614 in Green
Author: bandob

I caught this photo from the window of Amtrak #50 on November 4, Clifton Forge, VA. Anyone have any updated news on plans for the locomotive?

B&OBill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 07:33 by bandob.

Date: 11/23/12 07:56
Re: 614 in Green
Author: zzzzz

I saw this in person at the C&O Museum and it is just awful. Money shouldn't make you do this to such a beautiful engine. I want it back to how it was or even disguise it as a N&W engine for runs on NS next year.

Date: 11/23/12 08:37
Author: ClubCar

zzzzz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw this in person at the C&O Museum and it is
> just awful. Money shouldn't make you do this to
> such a beautiful engine. I want it back to how it
> was or even disguise it as a N&W engine for runs
> on NS next year.
I respect your opinion; however I don't think it looks bad. If the Southern had purchased this type of 4-8-4 it may have operated in that color. Besides, I would rather see this locomotive in operation today rather than sit in a museum as a static display. Perhaps Ross can make a deal with Norfolk Southern to operate it or who knows, perhaps someday another railroad will decide to operate main line steam once again.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 11/23/12 08:41

You know your right, it could run as a Southern engine with that green. NS, we got you another steamer to run next year. Now if you want some good color for that engine, how about some Chessie colors with a big logo on the tender. :)

Date: 11/23/12 09:33
Author: Lighter

Isn't that the paint scheme for the B&O Presidents? Pacific's, of course and without the hotel logo.

Date: 11/23/12 10:00
Author: thefracturedfrog

Not the right color green for Southern. Also, it needs a bit of work IIRC to get it back on the rails... Won't see her running anytime soon, sadly.

-Froggie

Date: 11/23/12 11:15
Author: dan

i think it is stately

Date: 11/23/12 15:38
Author: OKTrainboys

Folks, CO614 could be pink, and that would not be the crime. Clearly, the crime is that a fully roller bearing, modern LIMA northern is sitting outside, pining away on a siding. There are only TWO northerns in this world that are totally and completely epitome's of low maintainence awesomeness and both are trapped and unappreciated by today's corporations.....a million shmillion....spend it, put them both in covered sidings next to a good machine shop AND RUN THEM!! I have not been this depressed since loggerhogger started posting all those steamers getting scrapped photo's a while back.....I can't take it any longer....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 15:39 by OKTrainboys.

Date: 11/23/12 16:15

Let's start a petition to get the 614 into NS 21st Century Steam Program. :)

Date: 11/23/12 18:40
Author: dczarOP

You've got my vote!

Date: 11/23/12 19:00
Author: dan

think between N&W and sou they have enough to draw historically, but maybe the other road..

Date: 11/23/12 20:00
Author: needles_sub

When everything is said and done, more was said than done. Until someone comes up with a couple million, to buy and restore it, than we are all just beating our heads against the wall. The almighty dollar has spoken, the engine is green. Of course, you'll have to find a railroad that will let you run it, the insurance, cars, hopefully not a mismatched set, and people to ride it, not stand track side and photograph it, a place to restore it, store it, people to maintain it, along with a budget, and son on, and so on, and so on.

Date: 11/23/12 21:15
Author: bioyans

zzzzz Wrote:
> Let's start a petition to get the 614 into NS 21st
> Century Steam Program. :)

And why would NS want an engine that is of a heritage for their closest competitor in the east?

Last time I checked, C&O wasn't one of the NS heritage roads ...

Date: 11/24/12 06:33
Author: Emmo213

Agreed. All this talk of the NS steam program makes absolutely no sense. They wouldn't restore an engine of a competitor when there is a better suited engine, in better condition, within visual distance of the main Roanoke shops. if you want to see 614 on the high iron talk to CSX.

Date: 11/24/12 07:00

How about the Buffalo and Pittsburgh?LOL
Emmo213 Wrote:
> Agreed. All this talk of the NS steam program
> makes absolutely no sense. They wouldn't restore
> an engine of a competitor when there is a better
> suited engine, in better condition, within visual
> distance of the main Roanoke shops. if you want to
> see 614 on the high iron talk to CSX.

Date: 11/24/12 10:18
Author: bioyans

Emmo213 Wrote:
> Agreed. All this talk of the NS steam program
> makes absolutely no sense. They wouldn't restore
> an engine of a competitor when there is a better
> suited engine, in better condition, within visual
> distance of the main Roanoke shops. if you want to
> see 614 on the high iron talk to CSX.

The other big factor, is that 614 is owned by an individual, rather than a historical society or museum. I seriously doubt NS would contribute anything to an individual, as opposed to a society or museum that may qualify as a tax deduction.

Date: 11/24/12 10:31
Author: qman

What is (was) the occasion the resulted in the main and eccentric rods being removed ??

qman

Date: 11/24/12 14:28
Author: Frisco1522

I think needles_sub wrapped it up very neatly and in tune with reality.
Personally I think the green is hideous, but I don't have a dog in the hunt and don't own it so green it is.

Date: 11/25/12 12:49
Author: RBMN-ENGR

Main and eccentric rods were removed a short time after the NJDOT excursions in October 1998 for dead-in-tow (not under steam) movement to the Reading & Northern RR at Port Clinton for storage. Lubrication to the cylinders and valves is carried by steam. No steam, no lubrication. It would be like driving your car with no oil in the engine. Not good. We never put them back on while she was stored in Port Clinton. They could be re-applied for display. However, if it were to be moved any distance again, they would/should be removed again.

Chris Bost
Leesport, PA

Date: 11/25/12 17:56
Author: OKTrainboys

Doesn't it just make you want to throw up.....this locomotive is just a beautilful, ultra modern, roller bearing, high speed, tractive effort machine....far, far better than anything else on the high iron today.....it just is....and yet CSX Just DOESN'T GET IT!!! If the fires do not get re-lit, they die....and all is lost. There are just a few, and it would not take much....SAVE THEM, and run them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/12 18:24 by OKTrainboys.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0881 seconds