Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Steam & Excursion > Another 3751 image I liked

Date: 12/18/12 20:04
Another 3751 image I liked
Author: Spikes

By W.P. Armstrong in 2010 in California.

Date: 12/18/12 20:26
Re: Another 3751 image I liked
Author: Auburn_Ed

Since it seems we must have a P-42 behind (almost) every steam locomotive that runs these days, can't we have them run backwards? Wouldn't this reduce the impact on photos? Maybe paint the diesel like a baggage car?

Ed

Date: 12/18/12 21:32
Author: EMD2024

You gonna supply the paint and labor to paint it and then return it to Amtrak (blah) colors? A great idea if someone else takes care of all the actual details, I guess. Maybe Amtrak will buy an old E-8 or 9 B-unit body or kitbash two baggage car bodies and miraculously adapt same to slide right over a Genesis unit with nothing but Velcro strips to hold it in place. Paint as desired and you're good to go! I'm not jumpin' in a foxhole. Fire away!

Michael Perkins

Date: 12/18/12 22:12
Author: oldhound

All that's missing are a few old woody station wagons and the Beach boys music. Thanks for the share.

Man I miss the sunshine,
Karl - in the Great Wet North

Date: 12/19/12 00:15
Author: Alco251

Todd Clark and I threw around the idea of using movie paint to put a black temporary coat on diesels trailing the steam locomotive. Can you imagine what those Amtrak units would look like in black with large silver numbers, like a Santa Fe tender? Anyway, the "movie paint"--Johnson's wax and food coloring--is not the big deal. The expensive part comes afterward, when you water-blast the paint off. The relatively-simple job is compounded by the fact that the locomotives have picked up a patina of diesel exhaust and grime which, under EPA rules, makes the peeled-paint hazardous waste, and removal and proper disposal sends the cost of the project through the roof. If we have a lottery winner who wants to subsidize such a project...

Date: 12/19/12 00:34
Author: nnsteam

In a small way, at least those Genesis locos look like box cars anyways. This day in age we need to be thankful for what we have. A steam locomotive pulling a diesel is far better than just a diesel...

Posted from Android

Date: 12/19/12 01:01
Author: lwilton

Spend a little more than movie paint. Get it wrapped to look like an RPO.

Date: 12/19/12 08:01
Author: mopacrr

It would be nice for a photo charter type special to have the 3751 by its self,but for excursions like the ones run to San Diego, its imperative that the Amtrack units go along

Date: 12/19/12 20:13
Author: P

Running it backwards would sure keep the windows clean, wouldn't it?

Date: 12/19/12 21:32
Author: nycman

Spikes, it's a great photo and thanks for posting it.

Date: 12/19/12 23:09
Author: Ardenwood

When you don't see the blue face it may not be so bad. Or is it?

Date: 12/20/12 15:00
Author: nycman

Haruo, you are right! Facing the Amtrak backwards makes a difference. Nice photo, by the way.

Date: 12/20/12 15:32
Author: ExtraSouth

Put a B unit or two behind it painted like the passenger cars like the Clinchfield did.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0365 seconds