Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Steam & Excursion > Santa Fe steam on Adeline Street

Date: 01/05/13 05:34
Santa Fe steam on Adeline Street
Author: KeyRouteKen

Here's a view, thanks to John Harder, of what it was like in the 30's with Santa Fe trains running down Adeline Street in Oakland, near Emeryville. The good old days, huh ?

KRK

Date: 01/05/13 05:44
Re: Santa Fe steam on Adeline Street
Author: refarkas

Thanks for posting this. There is so much history here. How soon we forget that in 1938 wooden boxcar were probably still the majority, and an old 2-8-0 was used as today's older Geeps might be used.
Bob

Date: 01/05/13 08:25
Author: TonyJ

The Santa Fe 2-8-0 reminds me of an old SP "twelve-wheeler" doing the same thing.

Date: 01/05/13 08:29
Author: YG

Great photo!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 01/05/13 12:42
Author: Westbound

Ken, outstanding photo! I remember the last time I was out in that vicinity in the 1990s... There was a tank car spotted at the edge of the street at one of the industries served by the Santa Fe, which was surprising. Then I could see it had been left there permanently for industrial use and would never again roll in service.

Date: 01/05/13 12:51
Author: Evan_Werkema

Great photo, thanks for sharing! The 998 was a homebrew, one of ten 990-class 2-8-0's designed and built in the company shops at Topeka in 1900-01. In 1938, it only had a couple of years left - it was cut up at Calwa (Fresno, CA) in 1940.

Date: 01/05/13 20:28
Author: JimBaker

The 998's main rod and crank pin was so low to the roadway you could almost crack and egg and not squash it!

I have heard that some Steam Hammer operators could do the same thing with their skill.

--Jin Baker

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0276 seconds