-------------------------------------------------------
> See:
> http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_22409275/yorks-civil-w
> ar-era-train-closer-completion
>
> Also:
> http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_22410021/dozens-attend
> -open-house-see-how-steam-into

In reading both of these articles I have not really learned anything new. I stated on an earlier thread that my wife and I visited the town of New Freedom, Pennsylvania a few weeks ago. Looking at the tracks of the former Northern Central (ex-Pennsylvania, ex-Penn Central), a lot of work is needed to be able to operate any kind of train. The line needs ties, ballast, and probably repairs to most rail joints from what I observed. Nothing in these two articles address these major issues. Does anyone else know any plans this group has to address this issue?

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/20/13 08:42
Re: York's (PA) New Steam Locomotive Nearing Completion
Author: I1sa

That line is in poor shape, it will take a lot of funds to make it worthy. Seems to be an expensive proposition and risky deal to do this, not sure how this will be a year round tourist attraction based on civil war re-enactors riding the train and in essence a dinner train. The 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg is going to be a big draw, but that's this summer...

Date: 01/20/13 11:18
Author: ClubCar

I1sa Wrote:
> That line is in poor shape, it will take a lot of
> funds to make it worthy. Seems to be an expensive
> proposition and risky deal to do this, not sure
> how this will be a year round tourist attraction
> based on civil war re-enactors riding the train
> and in essence a dinner train. The 150th
> Anniversary of Gettysburg is going to be a big
> draw, but that's this summer...
I agree with you about a big draw; and a dinner train is very hard to keep in operation in this day and age. The last dinner train that operated over this very same line back in the 1990's went out-of-business for economical reasons. It takes a tremendous amount of money to keep a dinner train in operation, usually more money than the train can generate. The only way that this operation can stay in business is to acquire some freight customers along the line.

Date: 01/20/13 16:23

Stewartstown Railroad had a similar fate, though steam is a draw for tourists I don't know if people will drive over from Gettysburg to ride/see it? Strasburg as multiple tourist draws and the museum is right across the street, reason why it's successful.

Not mentioning will it be operational in the winter? Will the coaches have heat? I doubt it.

Date: 01/21/13 11:52
Author: wmry202

I've been living in Glen Rock for eight years which is right between New Freedom and Hanover junction. ther is probably zero chance of any frieght customers on this line not to mention the overgrowth is major. I do hope they pull it off. It will be nice to see some kind of rail traffic through glen rock again.

Date: 01/21/13 17:29

wmry202 Wrote:
> I've been living in Glen Rock for eight years
> which is right between New Freedom and Hanover
> junction. ther is probably zero chance of any
> frieght customers on this line not to mention the
> overgrowth is major. I do hope they pull it off.
> It will be nice to see some kind of rail traffic
> through glen rock again.

I have not been in Glen Rock for years, but last time I looked at the track it was quite rusty and in need of some work. I also do not recall there being any crossing guards, lights or RR warnings where it crosses the main street.

When was the last time a loco was on that track?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds