Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Steam & Excursion > Western Maryland steam winter freight (photos)

Date: 01/27/13 03:15
Western Maryland steam winter freight (photos)
Author: mfmalk

http://www.losttracksoftime.com/p47324941

All,

Follow the above link to my photos from the Western Maryland winter photo freight excursions a few weeks ago. Not much snow, rather balmy weather for this time of the year. Thick fog on Sunday morning made for some moody scenes - my kinda stuff!

Turning the page backwards, the 4 images with the white border were shot on 120 film – Ilford Delta 400 Black & White Professional. The palette has expanded; so much for traveling light with digital only…

Enjoy,
Matthew

Date: 01/27/13 06:45
Re: Western Maryland steam winter freight (photos)
Author: Tominde

WOW Mathew. You really made the most of an interesting situation. So nice to see something besides the standard photo line 3/4. Yeah I was on those photo lines Saturday and mine are nothing like yours. Extremely well done. Your 120 work is very convincing. Thanks for sharing. But by putting them in that album, you can't qualify for IOTD. But all the free folks get to see it.

Date: 01/27/13 07:33
Author: oldhound

Film? did he say film? Isn't that a 4-letter word?!?! Good on ya' Flowers, and thanks for posting, EH!

Karl

Date: 01/27/13 09:56
Author: jbwest

Matthew, your images are an inspiration. It is fun to think about how I might adapt some of your ideas into my own much more traditional style. And the fact I was out there chasing the same trains under the same conditions with the same opportunities makes it all the more challenging and interesting.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/13 09:57 by jbwest.

Date: 01/27/13 11:54
Author: Inthehole

This is photography in an art form.

Date: 01/27/13 22:18
Author: IC_2024

Inthehole Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is photography in an art form.

If you really want to see art form, "Highball" the WMSR stuff and go straight to his "Beauty and the Beast" series... "Schwing!" as Wayne would say!

Date: 01/28/13 15:48
Author: mfmalk

Tom, I must have skimped when I bought my cameras – I didn’t spend the extra money on the ¾ wedge functionality.

Yes Canuck, I said film. I’m gunning for you; I’ve seen how you roll (pun intended). You best be looking over your shoulder, its all a-boot T-Max 100.

As for my Beauty and the Beat series – it has been a tremendous learning experience. In a train runby, the entire scene is before us, as photographers we just have to crop the storyline and hopefully get the camera settings right. In working with models, the slate is started clean; the final image collaborated from concept. Bringing this experience into my train photography has helped so much in capturing the human interaction of man with machine – one of my major themes and focuses.

I mentioned this on another forum also: there are many ways to view a scene, for we are all individuals with different views and vision of our surroundings. Place a bunch of photographers on a line – they will use different settings, composition, and technique to capture the moment as they see it, I’d bet the results are rarely the same. One not more correct than the other, it’s all subjective. I take it one step further and drift a bit more off center.

Once again, I thank you all for these comments made, the private messages, and emails sent about my work. It’s all just a hobby; cameras, trains, and Photoshop is something outside my career – I use it to take me a way to a better place and time.

Matthew

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds