Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Steam & Excursion > Lon ago and far away...

Date: 02/23/13 20:07
Lon ago and far away...
Author: wcamp1472

Long ago and far away....

It is interesting to recall, some 40 years ago, working with Ross on investigating future power candidates for his Bicentennial, 1975/76, display train/tour
of the USA. We considered many candidates, I had speculated that an SP Daylight, if one could be found, would make my favorite as the primary engine to haul the big train around the vast expanses of this huge Nation.

Again, we're talking the VERY early concept development stages of the project.
I hadn't known who owned the 4449, or if she was even in an operable condition.

As a fall-back for another oil-burner as power, I was envisioning recommending & using an AT&SF 2900-series candidate -- from among the many to chose from.
I was only in an 'advisory' position, and it could have turned out differently. The folks in Portland agreed that it should happen and then rolled out the
welcome carpet for the 4449 restoration crew.

OR, we might have had one of the Big 2900s, or maybe one of those BIG 2-10-4s of the Santa Fe!

That was then, and NOW its astounding to see the huge numbers of excellent engines that are operable and in running condition.
Most, if not all, of those that are running (or have been rebuilt and now "parked") are the outcome, and the influence of, the engines that Ross Rowland brought
back to life ran ----- and showed the way for others what hard work and organizational rationale can achieve.

None of the current speculative talk comparisons, & arguments etc, would be taking place, had not the events of 1968, 1969 and later, set the stage for the Great Iron Horse revival --
-- and its STILL going on!

Two other folks had a monstrous influence during that era: Graham Claytor, Sr. & Bob Claytor --- their early support and encouragement were the fuel that lit a raging fire.
Today, in the Roanoke Transportation Museum is a great, life sized, photo of Bob and Graham standing under the cab of the HOT NKP 759 and grinning -- I think it was taken at Roanoke, probably in October 1968 (my guess...).

Its my favorite picture! Looking back, taking into account ALL the restored and running locos, even those that had a brief hot existence --- What those three Giants achieved is awe inspiring! Thank you Ross, Bob and Graham.... the future is still unfolding to thrill many thousands more young Rosses, Dolyes, Scotts, Jacks, Stetlers and many more! The future's so bright, I have to wear sun glasses!

Starting with Friday's events, we're completing a full circle. Join the Party, do what you can, give what can and drink-in ALL you can.
If you're young, willing to WORK long hours, night & day, there's a chance that you'll get your 'shot', too!
Support a steam loco restoration project near you ---- we're nation-wide NOW!

Overfire Jets.

Date: 02/23/13 20:24
Re: Lon ago and far away...
Author: wabash2800

I still am awed with the success of the AFT and the fact that we had steam. I just really have to hand to you guys, the railroads and corporate donors involved. It just seems that it couldn't have happened in the railroad environment at the time. It was a once in a lifetime event, and I am glad to have witnessed and photographed it. I will never forget it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/13 20:34 by wabash2800.

Date: 02/24/13 06:09
Author: HotWater

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still am awed with the success of the AFT and
> the fact that we had steam. I just really have to
> hand to you guys and the railroads and corporate
> donors involved.

You can thank the top executives of General Motors Corporation for the American Freedom Train being handled by steam locomotives.

Now I'll wait a bit for everybody to stop laughing!

OK. When Ross' AFT Foundation people were lining up corporate sponsors, many of the really large corporations, like Prudential, Standard Oil, PepsiCo, etc., where all will to "jump on the band wagon", but neither did any single corporation want to be the first. At that point GM, stated that GM was will to be the first corporation to "put up" the first one million dollars, with the stipulation that the AFT be pulled ONLY by a steam locomotive! The top men at GM, even in those days, KNEW what the news media was like in the U.S., and did NOT want any part of the media frenzy over GM's sponsorship of the American Freedom Train just so GM could get free advertising for their EMD/GM diesel locomotives.

The rest is now history!

Thanks Wes, for starting this thread.

Date: 02/24/13 07:42
Author: Frisco1522

I think that among the engines looked at was Frisco 4501 at Dallas, another 4-8-4. Wouldn't bet the ranch on it, but read it in Trains or somewhere.

Date: 02/24/13 15:43
Author: nycman

Wes, thanks for bringing up that history. Wasn't it great that you just got to ride behind 4449 in 2012? How many other restored locomotives have been active for as long as 4449 has? Thanks to you, Ross, Mssrs Adams, Karal, Phillips, Shipman, and Immel for this gift to us fans. BIG thanks to Doyle McCormack and Jack Wheelihan for running this beautiful locomotive for as many years as she has been resurrected. Yes, I know there have been many other crew members, and I extend thanks to all of you.

Date: 02/24/13 20:24
Author: rcall31060

Couldn't agree more, Wes. It is truly amazing.

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 02/24/13 20:33
Author: wabash2800

Jack looks a bit older than when we restored the 765 back in the late 70s. And I look older too. sigh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/13 20:33 by wabash2800.

Date: 02/24/13 21:31
Author: Waybiller

I very much agree with the thanks given for those listed. I'd also like to add one, however, for the Union Pacific Railroad.

Date: 02/25/13 19:10
Author: wcamp1472

No doubt about the UP's contribution.....

However, they're in their 'own category' ---- Class Ones that rebuild, maintain and operate their own locomotives on their property, without the concerns that cripple other, independent, efforts -- its the Big RR's money, and they'll spend it as they wish --like they control their private ROWs.

Its a much different environment --- financially, facilities resources, track access, liability concerns vis-a-vis the huge insurances costs to
private-excursions-business operators and a myriad of other concerns (mostly related to money...).

The complications of restoring, finding a friendly place to run the restored locos, etc --- makes the lumping of the BIG RR BOYS with the small numbers of "determined entrepreneurs" a wrong inclusion --- and also makes an equation that does not 'work' as a way to compare successes.

The UP's operation is a joy to behold; but, the true miracles of private success are found in the fiscally smaller efforts that have sprung up across the U.S. ---essentially without ANY "Big RR" benefits --but, all the risks & expenses related to getting these wonderful machines freed to roam the land.

My appreciation essay had to do with the spread of enthusiasm started by the originator of the 'private steam excursion & successful 'display trains' genre that sprang up from 1968 ---going forward.

I'm deeply appreciative and glad to have witnessed these past restoration-events; and, glad that Ross allowed me to be a part of his early endeavors, at the dawn of the modern era.
To me, that's whats remarkable about the last 50 years....

The UP and the other BIG RR operations do their steam-thing in an independent fashion (sometimes with arrogance...), but the fact that the 'independents' have been & ARE able to operate AT ALL, is truly remarkable.

I was reflecting on the 'expanding ripples' effect generated by the "ROCK thrown into the pond" --- the incomparable: NKP 759!

(Today, one thing is clear to me: the possible restoration of the N&W 611 will be funded by additional sources, and resources: other than small
----less than a million dollars----- individual contributions........ mark my words!).

Wes...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.078 seconds