Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Steam & Excursion > East Broad Top RR

Date: 02/24/13 05:55
East Broad Top RR
Author: NormSchultze

Any insite on whether or not EBT will operate in 2013 ?

Date: 02/24/13 08:54
Re: East Broad Top RR
Author: john7968

From the EBT website this morning :

It is with great remorse that the East Broad Top Railroad officially announces that we will not be operating steam powered excursions for the 2012 season. On April 1st, 2012, the East Broad Top Preservation Association's 3-year lease to operate the East Broad Top Railroad with an option to buy has ended. After painstaking talks and options were evaluated and discussed, no arrangement could be made between the East Broad Top Railroad and Coal Company and the East Broad Top Preservation Association.

At this time there are no certainties beyond 2012. We can't say this is the end of the line, nor can we say this is just temporary. Should any type of operations or events be planned in the future, we will announce them here. Until then there are no further details.

The decision to close this season was a difficult one. The employees of the East Broad Top Railroad would like to say "Thank You" to all of our patrons, fans, and supporters for allowing us to serve you with the enchanting and historical experience on America's oldest operating narrow gauge steam railroad. Rest assured it is difficult for us to accept that we are unable to provide a memorable visit on our railroad, much the same as it is for you to read this announcement. If it were not for the kind support of our visitors over the past 51 years we would have never made it this far. Again, we thank you for the greatest experience we could ever imagine.

The East Broad Top Railroad and Coal Company

Date: 02/24/13 10:18
Author: NormSchultze

Right, that was 2012. My querry was about this year.

Date: 02/24/13 10:42
Author: rehunn

I think the last thing I saw published was that they hoped to have some runs later in the year ie
late July/August.

Date: 02/24/13 12:04
Author: StrandedTexan

NormSchultze Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right, that was 2012. My querry was about this
> year.

Well, unless something more recent has been published, I think it's safe to say that announcement about the cessation of operations is still in effect. I doubt something more has been published seeing as john7968 said he pulled that quote from the EBT website this morning.

Date: 02/24/13 12:22
Author: Macster

They are far more active on their facebook page than the website... I'd keep an eye on that before the website.

Date: 02/24/13 13:36
Author: john7968

I tried all links before I posted the note from the EBT website, remember they say “beyond 2012”. Found nothing else.

Date: 02/24/13 15:50
Author: rehunn

On February 7th 2013 this was posted on the EBT Facebook site, by the page itself:

"I've been told it's possible the train could run late in the summer, again possible nothing is written in stone but it's something to keep our hopes up."

That was the posting on the NGDF site and I've seen one other informal announcement, believe it was in one of the
local papers saying the same thing.
Again, at the moment it's probably wishful and tentative. I'm sure they could accommodate a special day or two without
running a formal "season".

Date: 02/24/13 16:56
Author: holiwood

If they run again, I will not put off a visit. I waited too long
and decided to go last year, too late

Date: 02/24/13 17:34
Author: RuleG

While the chance of it happening are slim, if the East Broad Top opened up during Memorial Day weekend when the 765 will also be running through South Central Pennsylvania, that part of the state will be overflowing with foamacity.

Date: 02/26/13 12:15
Author: DJ-12

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While the chance of it happening are slim, if the
> East Broad Top opened up during Memorial Day
> weekend when the 765 will also be running through
> South Central Pennsylvania, that part of the state
> will be overflowing with foamacity.

Yes,

They are going to miss out on a huge ridership opportunity when the Lewistown trains are running.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds