Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Steam & Excursion > what's happening?

Date: 02/26/13 16:12
what's happening?
Author: Keystone1

OK....Now that I've projected all my 611 movies taken between 1959 and 1994, WHAT is happening with the Big Boy project? I have heard nothing new for over a week. Is Pomona going to let 4014 go for a while? I don't know about you guys, but it would take me about 1/3 of a second to say Y E S !!!

Date: 02/26/13 16:20
Re: what's happening?
Author: up3985

Trains news wire said that Ed was supposedly in Pamona recently and talks are still ongoing. I also recently chatted with some guy (completely unaffiliated with UP) who said that the UP already has the Big Boy... I feel that statement a long shot. I would hope that all this talk willO lead to a definite answer soon.

Date: 02/26/13 16:24
Author: OKTrainboys

What does that statement you just said mean? "UP already has a Big Boy?" Thanks.

Date: 02/26/13 16:39
Author: up3985

He said that they bought 4014 already, but I didn't buy it.

Date: 02/26/13 17:47
Author: OKTrainboys

That is exactly the type of thing that makes one crazy....people always think they know....or are easily willing to speculate to the point of a wishful conclusion....
Like most of the rest of you are thinking....if the Pomona group does not shake hands on this deal, it will be the biggest lost opportunity ever.

Date: 02/26/13 18:15
Author: Tomas

From what I have heard from other train websites is that the project was making good progress and that they were getting the final details straightened out. The main person who was in charge of the operation did not make any statements or a appearance at the last Pomona meeting which was good news. They said if things did not work out he would have made his announcement at the meeting. But since he did not show up, it was a good indication that he was working on the details and would make a announcement later.

The fact that we have no heard any negative news about the restoration is good news.

Date: 02/27/13 05:35
Author: HotWater

Last I was told was, there was an "open meeting" planed for February 23, which Mr. Dickens was supposed to attend and "speak" at. Upon discovering that a "question & answer period" was also planned, Mr. Dickens subsequently canceled. I have not heard, yet, if the "meeting" on 2/23/2013 took place, nor any results.

Date: 02/27/13 12:11
Author: Realist

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last I was told was, there was an "open meeting"
> planed for February 23, which Mr. Dickens was
> supposed to attend and "speak" at. Upon
> discovering that a "question & answer period" was
> also planned, Mr. Dickens subsequently canceled. I
> have not heard, yet, if the "meeting" on 2/23/2013
> took place, nor any results.

Bet that made an impression.

Date: 02/27/13 12:25
Author: rehunn

Is that like a "dent"??

Date: 02/28/13 01:04
Author: nnsteam

So what it all boils down to is that some people have "heard" certain things...

That equates to NOTHING in my opinion.

Point being, it was stated awhile ago that nothing would be announced until an official decision was made. I know we would all like to know where this may or may not lead, BUT...it just seems like threads like this one turn into pissing contests when someone was just asking a simple question...

It will all reveal itself in time. For me, a big boy running again would be awesome and I would support it. BUT...It doesn't affect my job that pays my bills, my house that I live in, or my wife and family that I so cherish..., so I see no need to get combative over it. Why is this so personal to so many people? In the past few days it has evolved into a 4014 vs 611 thread. Why? Is my engine more powerful than yours, and does that make you scared?

If I had the money to re-build a big boy, or any other major steam locomotive on this planet, but first I had to ask for peoples opinions on this forum, I think ultimately I would just end up scrapping said locomotive because of the response I'd get. I don't know why we have to be so negative over something that could be so potentially awesome.

Now I know why I have model trains. Because they are mine and I can do whatever I want with them and nobody has any influence over what happens...

Date: 02/28/13 06:38
Author: ddg

I guess that's why we are all subscribing to a "Discussion" forum. We are discussing it. Not everyone will have the same idea or response. It's like a real discussion in slow motion. Soemtimes it becomes more of an "argument" forum, but that's the way discussions are. It takes all kinds of people, and nobody will say the same thing the same way.

Date: 02/28/13 10:26
Author: switchlock

Imagine what this place is gonna look like in another month.

Date: 02/28/13 14:09
Author: RailGiants

The February 23rd meeting was our prescheduled annual meeting, which was the kick off to our 60 year anniversary celebration. Everyone who attended was treated to an extraordinary program covering the history of the Chapter, a catered lunch, and a reception at our RailGiants Train Museum at the fairgrounds.

It was generally a social gathering. We also have less formal meetings scheduled on Tuesday nights featuring guest speakers covering topics of railroad history. Check our website for our most recent schedule of events.

Steve McFerson
Website Editor,
RailGiants Train Museum - Pomona California
The Railway and Locomotive Historical Society, Southern California Chapter
Twitter: @RailGiants

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds