Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Steam & Excursion > More of Clover Valley #4 on NCRy

Date: 03/10/13 22:06
More of Clover Valley #4 on NCRy
Author: FiveChime

It was a huge undertaking to restore the Clover Valley #4 back into operation after it's last run at Castro Point
in Richmond in 1985. Fortunately the Niles Canyon Railway Steam Department headed by Alan Siegwarth and Johnathon Kruger consists of a group of fairly young Pacific Locomotive Association members because most of the folks who
worked to get the locomotive into operation in the 1980s are no longer with us.

Both the 2-6-6-2T CV #4 and 2-6-2T Quincy Railroad #2 will be operating in regular service on the NCRy on Saturday,
April 6th and Sunday, April 7th. Please check our website ncry.org for details.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 03/10/13 22:24
Re: More of Clover Valley #4 on NCRy
Author: oldhound

Jim, thanks for sharing the shots & I'm really grateful to all of those folks that brought this engine back to life.

Cheers,
karl

Date: 03/10/13 22:48
Author: 28hogger

FiveChime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was a huge undertaking to restore the Clover
> Valley #4 back into operation after it's last run
> at Castro Point
> in Richmond in 1985. Fortunately the Niles Canyon
> Railway Steam Department headed by Alan Siegwarth
> and Johnathon Kruger consists of a group of fairly
> young Pacific Locomotive Association members
> because most of the folks who
> worked to get the locomotive into operation in the
> 1980s are no longer with us.
>
> Both the 2-6-6-2T CV #4 and 2-6-2T Quincy Railroad
> #2 will be operating in regular service on the
> NCRy on Saturday,
> April 6th and Sunday, April 7th. Please check our
> website ncry.org for details.
>
> Regards, Jim Evans

I agree completely, the folks at PLA did one superb job on restoration of that locomotive. It does my heart good to see it run, but nobody has answered my question why was the second air compressor omitted. That gave that engine character. Please enlighten me.

Warren

Date: 03/11/13 00:33
Author: Ardenwood

Great meeting you today. Haruo

Date: 03/11/13 07:56
Author: oldhound

Let me guess, a photo of the Clover Valley at night =:0)

Date: 03/11/13 09:52
Author: Ardenwood

Sorry this the shot before the nightfall. I didn't know my slight change in Photoshop changed .jpg to something like .psd and suddenly the DARK. Thank you for your message 5 chimes, otherwise I thought it was still in daylight. Haruo

Date: 03/11/13 11:35
Author: sf1861

Regarding the second air compressor, you are welcome to donate the 35-40,000 dollars needed to purchase one. We will be
glad to install it.

Date: 03/11/13 11:54
Author: YG

Nice images. Thanks to all those who made this rebirth possible!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 03/11/13 11:56
Author: cchan006

Nice running into you Jim, and thanks for the photos and the report!

I guess you were busy volunteering yesterday, so I didn't see you with a video camera. Yes, I'm walking just fine today, in case you are wondering.

Date: 03/12/13 08:32
Author: doge_of_pocopson

Here is the answer to your question re: the second compressor, from "Lurch" posted 2/25 -- so your question was already answered! Best -- B

"The second air pump was not installed because of the huge cost of rebuilding cross-compound air compressors. When the locomotive was inspected in Fremont about 15 years ago both air pump's drains were opened for the first time since 1986, they were not opened when the #4 was shut down that last time it ran. Needless to say both compressors need a tremendous amount of work. The spare cross compound compressor for Quincy #2 is now on the #4.

The #4 was also built with a single air compressor on the fireman's side, Simpson #13 was another Baldwin logging mallet with a single compressor. The #4 will look as it did back in the early 1930's with it's original 1,200 gallon fuel bunker, single cross compound compressor, and simple paint job."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds