Home Open Account Help 192 users online

Steam & Excursion > Anyone know what this is ca.1940 ?

Date: 07/21/13 16:09
Anyone know what this is ca.1940 ?
Author: s3northern

Hello All:

I've been scanning and cataloging some old kodachromes I've picked up recently, and this was among them. I bought the lot for the other images, but this was in there too. No idea what it is. I can tell you that the others date to 1940-41, but they aren't geographically specific. They were taken by a WWII pilot all over the U.S. Any input is appreciated!

Mike

Date: 07/21/13 16:18
Re: Anyone know what this is ca.1940 ?
Author: shavano

That's a 2 foot gauge trench train left over from WWI. They were used in europe as an intermediary between the standard gauge and the front lines. The standard gauge would go to about 10-12 miles behind the line and these little trains would take it the rest if the way. Many were brought back to the US and used for industrial railroads and on military bases to transport troops and supplies. Sadly most of these fort railroads were dismantled after the war. There's an excellent book called "narrow gauge to no man's land" I believe that provides excellent detail on these operations at home and abroad. That engine appears to be a baldwin 2-6-2, they were top heavy and had a penchant for overturning on the uneven and hastily laid trench railroads

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/21/13 17:21
Author: west

Hi,

After WW1 a few Army bases had 24" gauge lines using
the former trench railway rolling stock.

Fort Benning in Georgia apparently had a line with this
style of equipment in service until sometime
during WW2, the last of these railroads in service.
One of the locomotives and one car
are on display at the Infantry Museum there.

My guess would be this photo was taken at Fort Benning,
due to the date and that it's taken on color film.

Don

Date: 07/21/13 17:39
Author: s3northern

Thank you guys!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds