Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Steam & Excursion > York 17 down again

Date: 07/24/13 18:41
York 17 down again
Author: unseenthings

Trains mag is reporting today that steam into history pulled 17 out of service for repairs due to problem found during inspection. Trains are running with the diesel for now.

Date: 07/25/13 11:17
Re: York 17 down again
Author: ClubCar

This is a brand new steam locomotive and I cannot understand how they are having problems. It must be guaranteed by the builder wouldn't you think?
I hope that get it back quickly since there are many folks who wish to ride this train.

Date: 07/25/13 11:58
Author: CPengineer

They're having problems because it IS a brand new steam locomotive. There will be teething problems to work out with any steam locomotive entering service. Kloke's work is top-notch, and by the end of the summer, I'm betting that all the problems will be worked out.

Date: 07/25/13 13:43
Author: JohnnyG

I can't buy that,this is not the first engine by kloke.Any bugs should have been worked out long ago.Who paying for all the downtime that could could have had riders.Maybe the workmanship may not have been the best.All the materials used should have been grade # 1.

If I'm going to pay that amount of money to have it built,I sure as hell want it to run more then it has.

John York,PA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/13 13:46 by JohnnyG.

Date: 07/25/13 13:58
Author: CPengineer

The only way to work the bugs out is to run the engine, and run it every day. Little problems will show up that need to be fixed. Remember that there were only a handful of test runs made before the York entered regular service. Over at the Henry Ford Museum, they've finished a 7+ year top-to-bottom rebuild of an 1897 4-4-0. Despite their best efforts, and the quality of the work that went into it, there have been issues that crop up that have to be dealt with. That's the reality of steam. When the replicas were built for the Golden Spike National Historic Site in 1979 (York is based on the 119 patterns and plans) there were plenty of issues the first summer. Today they are fine steaming locomotives. Same goes for the 2-8-2 at Boone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/13 13:59 by CPengineer.

Date: 07/25/13 17:21
Author: Frisco1522

There are going to be some "teething" problems with any new machine. This is not unusual by any stretch of the imagination.

Date: 07/27/13 13:22
Author: unseenthings

Suppose to be running again today, 7/27. Any word?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.03 seconds