Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Steam & Excursion > Tough night on the Durango & Silverton

Date: 08/11/13 19:03
Tough night on the Durango & Silverton
Author: LJGross

An individual apparently committed suicide by train this evening. I live around a mile south of the incident and heard the engineer's frantic whistle efforts to prevent the accident. Not something I will soon forget, I assure you.

http://durangoherald.com/article/20130811/NEWS01/130819920/Man-dies-after-stepping-in-front-of-train-

Date: 08/12/13 04:41
Re: Tough night on the Durango & Silverton
Author: The_Chief_Way

Sorry to hear this . Just like the "big" railroads....

Date: 08/12/13 06:46
Author: sp5312

Thoughts and prayers go out to the crew, passengers and emergency personnel that had to deal with this act of cowardice

Date: 08/12/13 09:12
Author: Frisco1522

Lord, that's awful! Now the engine crew will forever see this when they close their eyes.

Date: 08/12/13 09:38
Author: trainman630

Think about the passengers, you take your kids on a train ride and see the aftermath of such a senseless act.

Date: 08/12/13 14:26
Author: NWClassJ

This is such a tragedy for all that were that were involved, my prayers to everyone.

Date: 08/12/13 18:01
Author: 4-12-2

Agree with all. Why this person needlessly spread their problems into the lives of others, marking them horribly forever, is one of those questions we'll never answer. Sorrow and prayers for all.

John Bush
Omaha

Date: 08/12/13 20:50
Author: PHall

4-12-2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agree with all. Why this person needlessly spread
> their problems into the lives of others, marking
> them horribly forever, is one of those questions
> we'll never answer. Sorrow and prayers for all.
>
> John Bush
> Omaha

They're not thinking of anyone else, they're thinking only about "their" problems.
And that suicide will "fix" those problems.

Date: 08/13/13 09:00
Author: cchan006

LJGross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An individual apparently committed suicide by
> train this evening. I live around a mile south of
> the incident and heard the engineer's frantic
> whistle efforts to prevent the accident. Not
> something I will soon forget, I assure you.
>
> http://durangoherald.com/article/20130811/NEWS01/1
> 30819920/Man-dies-after-stepping-in-front-of-train
> -

Glad I tried to look for the article before making any comments. The above link no longer works, but the Durango Herald has a follow up article. Apparently, the 28 year old victim's mother died about a mile north of the location 15 years ago, hit by a car:

http://durangoherald.com/article/20130812/NEWS01/130819882/Hermosa-resident-ID’d-as-man-killed-by-train-

I knew a friend of a friend of a friend, who couldn't handle the stress of living in modern times, so he chose to take his own life by jumping a cliff at the Grand Canyon. I know it's wrong to trivialize death and the trauma suffered by those who witness it, but it's aggravating to see people take the "easy way out" by train, instead of finding more noble ways to die. Plenty of scenic outlooks in the Durango area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/13 09:02 by cchan006.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0817 seconds