Home Open Account Help 191 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4014 Move W. Colton to Shy-ann????

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/15/13 16:39
4014 Move W. Colton to Shy-ann????
Author: RustyRayls

Have they estimated when this move will happen? With my rotten luck it will happen while I'm over on the other side of the Mississippi River.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/13 16:39 by chuchubobnv.

Date: 09/15/13 16:50
Re: 4014 Move W. Colton to Shy-ann????
Author: HotWater

chuchubobnv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have they estimated when this move will happen?

> Bob

Yes.

Date: 09/15/13 17:08
Author: kurt765

Wont' be till after the LA County Fair is over, which is after 9/29. It seems like they want to get on with it sooner rather than later so I'd guess next month 4014 will be on the move. I just hope I can escape work to see it move out.

-K

Date: 09/15/13 17:19
Author: RustyRayls

kurt765 Wrote:
> Wont' be till after the LA County Fair is over,
> which is after 9/29. It seems like they want to
> get on with it sooner rather than later so I'd
> guess next month 4014 will be on the move. I just
> hope I can escape work to see it move out.
>
> -K

That is GOOD NEWS! I'll be back on this side of the Big Muddy by then. Woooo-Who!!!!

Date: 09/15/13 17:22
Author: Spikes

Perhaps Oct-Nov-Dec onto Metrolink, west to Bassett, Walnut, Ontario, Colton, Rialto, Cajon, Barstow, Vegas, etc, daytime slow moves.

Date: 09/15/13 22:41
Author: GrandePete

I believe the plan was to move it to Colton for bearing work for a couple weeks prior to moving east. Has something changed?

Date: 09/16/13 04:34
Author: NWClassJ

If it has UP hasn't commented on it, as far as I have read it's going to Colton for bearing inspection/work and I thought also to be on public display for a period of time, all the moves will try to be during daylight hours. As far as when, as was posted already, not until after the fair.

Date: 09/16/13 09:30
Author: TomPlatten

Do you suppose they will make the brakes functional?

Date: 09/16/13 09:30
Author: CR3

I would guess that the move from the fairground to the Metrolink main line in Pomona will take place at night so as not to interfere with Metrolink trains in the Daytime. They have to install a lot of panel track sections to get it from it's present location over to the main line. I imagine this will take some time and maybe that move or at least part of it will take place in daylight. I don't know if they intend to install a switch at the Metrolink track or will just open it up and hook up the panel track to it. That remains to be seen. It would be nice if photographers (railfans) are allowed into the fairground while the panel track is being installed and the movement across the parking lot is taking place. Otherwise, don't know where else you could see it. Don't take any of this for gospel. Just my take on it.

CRS

Date: 09/16/13 10:55
Author: ddg

TomPlatten Wrote:
> Do you suppose they will make the brakes
> functional?

Or maybe just on the tender. Quite a bit of braking power there, with seven axles. Wonder what type of control valves the tender uses?

Date: 09/16/13 14:44
Author: Realist

TomPlatten Wrote:
> Do you suppose they will make the brakes
> functional?

Why would they?

Posted from Android

Date: 09/16/13 16:26

Of course brakes would be better, but they just plain won't after sitting for fifty years with out a COT&S on the engine and tender. That would be quite a job and require some shop time to do right. So you run a hose around it, and couple up enough empty cars to bring the T.O.B. down to about what? Less than 100 tons or 75? 50 maybe. The more empties you add, the lower the T.O B. You'd have to know 4014's empty weight to start with.

Date: 09/16/13 17:47

ddg Wrote:
> So you run a hose around it, and couple up
> enough empty cars to bring the T.O.B. down to
> about what?

Actually, if they use DPU locomotives on the front AND rear of their hospital train, they would NOT need to run a hose around 4014, (as was done with 4018 down in Texas). Being in DPU there would be a functional brake control valve on the front portion of the train as well as a functional brake control valve on the rear portion, with appropriate main reservoir/air supply on both ends. Use of DPU would give them more than enough dynamic brake on both ends also.

Date: 09/16/13 18:50

DP certainty would work, that would make it easy, but how do they get around the required percentage of cars in a train with working air brakes out of the initial terminal? Or is it different if it's considered a hospital train.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/16/13 19:19

ddg Wrote:
> DP certainty would work, that would make it easy,
> but how do they get around the required percentage
> of cars in a train with working air brakes out of
> the initial terminal? Or is it different if it's
> considered a hospital train.

I never said anything about NOT having the required number of cars, either forward or behind the 4014. That would still be an air braking requirement, but would be a LOT easier using DPU, plus no "hose around 4014".

Date: 09/16/13 20:44
Author: highgreengraphics

What is the current FRA ruling for having operating brakes on equipment out of an originating or major terminal? I did not think there could be any defects unless, as one poster noted, it is treated as a hospital train, but that's a lot of territory to cover with some significant grades. Sure DPU would be safer, but all depends upon the rules as they are written. === === = === JLH

Date: 09/17/13 05:13

highgreengraphics Wrote:
> What is the current FRA ruling for having
> operating brakes on equipment out of an
> originating or major terminal? I did not think
> there could be any defects unless, as one poster
> noted, it is treated as a hospital train, but
> that's a lot of territory to cover with some
> significant grades. Sure DPU would be safer, but
> all depends upon the rules as they are written.
> === === = === JLH

All the UP has to do is request a waiver from the FRA and explain their plan & method of moving the 4014 without functional brakes and the number of idler cars, including the DPU set-up.

Date: 09/17/13 06:25

But even with DP, you would still need a continuous brake pipe throughout the train, between the two DP units. Whether it's through 4014's original piping with the brakes cut out & set up to trail, or a long red hose. DP won't work without a continuous pipe between the DP units. You can't link it up to start with, and the "Train check" test requires it.

Date: 09/17/13 07:11
Author: filmteknik

As long as it's going to a shop why not fix the brakes since you have to eventually anyway? Just whatever is necessary to get it to run like the proverbial "heavy boxcar." Leave the driver brakes cut out / disconnected. No brakes on the pilot but between the trailing truck and the tender, that is a lot of weight you could be using for braking. You'd still need to run with some cars but besides needing fewer of them, for slow speed movement around shops you'd be in a better position maintain control without attached cars. If you did do the drivers you could cut them back in for that. Safer handling, I would think.

Is it better to run with empty cars or cars lightly loaded?

Date: 09/17/13 07:30
Author: puddlejumper

100% operable brakes on all cars. Like Hotwater said a waiver can be requested.

highgreengraphics Wrote:
> What is the current FRA ruling for having
> operating brakes on equipment out of an
> originating or major terminal?

Can DPU not be set up like Helperlink? In other words, a "radio" brake pipe is used with Helperlink all the time, I figured DPU units would have the same capability.

ddg Wrote:
> But even with DP, you would still need a
> continuous brake pipe throughout the train,
> between the two DP units. Whether it's through
> 4014's original piping with the brakes cut out &
> set up to trail, or a long red hose. DP won't work
> without a continuous pipe between the DP units.
> You can't link it up to start with, and the "Train
> check" test requires it.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0877 seconds