Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Steam & Excursion > Leviathan On The Saratoga & North Creek Railway

Date: 09/15/13 12:48
Leviathan On The Saratoga & North Creek Railway
Author: DLTBerkshire

I had a BLAST chasing & filming Leviathan on The Saratoga & North Creek Railway. There were a few glitches & a breakdown today BUT it was a memorable Northeastern steam excursion to remember. Here are 3 different clips I took of the trip. First at the crossing Antone Road, second was it crossed the Sacandaga River Bridge in Hadley & finally being turned on the turntable at North Creek. I hope you guys will enjoy them.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/15/13 14:10
Re: Leviathan On The Saratoga & North Creek Railway
Author: kinnearyard

When this engine was delivered it it had a modern coupler on the pilot on it. What happened to that ? Why did they remove it and go to the original coupler? To bad there was no sound, great videos.

Date: 09/15/13 23:10
Author: Mgoldman

bayview_boy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When this engine was delivered it it had a modern
> coupler on the pilot on it. What happened to that
> ? Why did they remove it and go to the original
> coupler? To bad there was no sound, great videos.

I believe you are thinking of the York in New Freedom,
PA. To the best of my knowledge, Leviathan never had
a standard coupler on the point - always link and pin.

/Mitch

Date: 09/16/13 07:29
Author: railroadmitch

Mitch is correct, the York was delivered with a front coupler. The Leviathan never had one.

This weekend was a great test and the first major test for one of Dave Kloke's engines. It performed flawlessly. On Saturday it ran 120 miles with not a bearing running more than 10 degrees above ambient temperature. I never saw as much as a single slip and for much of the day it had 150 trailing tons running 20mph. There were rumors that there were mechanical issues, but that is simply not true. The issues were more on the dispatching end as we got put into a siding for an hour and half that resulted in issues with available crews and rest.

The engine ran like a Swiss watch. Dave should be very happy with the results of nearly 10 years of work.

He is currently working on creating the Lincoln Funeral Train to have completed by May 2 of 2015. Check it out at http://www.the2015lincolnfuneraltrain.com/funeral-train

Date: 09/16/13 08:38
Author: HotWater

Well, it has been almost 24 hours, and I still don't see any videos. Just three messages that the videos are being "encoded" and to "check back in a few minutes".

What am I doing wrong, if anything?

Date: 09/16/13 09:59
Author: Mgoldman

jasonjohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------
> for much of the day it had 150 trailing tons running 20mph....

Twenty mph? She was doing 25 mph if not 100!

Great to catch up with you, Jason!

What happened Sunday at Hadley? A large crowd had gathered
by, on and under the bridge but most left by ISO 3200, lol.
As for speeds - it's amazing just how fast one needs to
travel to keep up with an engine going "20 mph". Leviathan
and the crew put on a great show. An amusement park ride
this was not. Looking forward to her visit to PA!

/Mitch

Date: 09/16/13 10:33
Author: railroadmitch

Same to you Mitch. I am always amazed how you do it. Larry has her moving there, but she looks like 100mph.

I would agree, she is no amusement park engine. For those that had doubts, they should be silenced after this weekend. As for the delay, she had to take a siding and wait for the other train to clear. There are several videos on that other video tube from this past weekend.

Date: 09/16/13 13:02
Author: twin_star_rocket

That's a VERY nice pan shot!

Brian Ehni

Date: 09/16/13 14:22
Author: nycman

Jack, those videos were there yesterday and I viewed them. Don't know what happened to them. Mitch, I have to catch up with you some day to see how you make 20mph look like 100! Nice.

Date: 09/16/13 15:32
Author: DLTBerkshire

Sorry for the trouble folks. BUT, here are the 3 clips I promised & THIS TIME it has sound & I fixed my problem.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/16/13 17:49
Author: HotWater

Maybe it's just me, but the locomotives looks "compressed" or somehow distorted. Pretty good sound though.

Date: 09/16/13 20:29
Author: RuleG

Mgoldman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Twenty mph? She was doing 25 mph if not 100!
>
WOW!!!

That's your best pan shot yet!

Date: 09/17/13 07:51
Author: march_hare

Saturday's northbound run was a sight to behold, albeit delayed by a scheduling conflict w/ the regular SNC passenger run. We left before the southbound run, which was going to be at least a couple hours late.

Sunday sounds like it did not go well. Northbound leg cancelled, southbound terminated prematurely. Still haven't heard the details.

As for the engine looking small, well, it is small. Even compared to a CN commuter coach, pretty much a standard 85 foot passenger car, the engine looked tiny because it is.

Viewed from behind in the chase line, the engine disappeared altogether. The train looked like a big yellow doodlebug (with an exhaust problem.)

Despite the glitches, a great little engine. Does anybody have period equipment to run behind it? Would wooden passenger cars even be legal these days?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0688 seconds