Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Steam & Excursion > Maine Central #470....before

Date: 11/15/13 20:37
Maine Central #470....before
Author: choochoocharlie

There was a thread about a week ago about the MEC 4-6-2 #470 on display at the Waterville, Maine station and the City counsel possibly selling it for various reasons. One was to possibly restore it to operation. So in that vein, here are three shots taken of the #470 when it was still in operation. The first two photos were taken at the Oakland, Maine station with a passenger train by my Father, Harry R. Lange. The third photo shows it at a different location departing Oakland, Maine. Please notice my Mother, Mabel Lange, in the first two photos.

Date: 11/15/13 20:40
Re: Maine Central #470....before

This is the color shot my Mother took of the 470 after she chatted with the engineer, as in the second photo above.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 11/15/13 21:13
Author: nycman

Charlie, it's no wonder David is such a good photographer, descended from Harry, Mabel, and Charlie. I always enjoy the shots and stories from your parents' photography sessions.

Date: 11/16/13 06:55
Author: Frisco1522

These are excellent! I especially like the street scene/train shot your Mother took. This is the America that I really miss.

Date: 11/16/13 07:47
Author: andersonb109

Agree. Now today mom would be yelled at for crossing the track and standing too close to the engine or some such nonsense.

Date: 11/17/13 07:53
Author: YG

Three wonderfully composed photos. What we see in the background and foreground is almost as interesting as the subject. Thanks for sharing!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 11/17/13 17:46
Author: mmisin2

Great sequence of photos. Any idea as to the heritage of the overpass abutments in the third photo? Appear to have been long abandoned even at that date.

Date: 11/17/13 19:00

Thanks for the comments. The Oakland train station is behind the train, so it can't be seen in these photos. What you see at the left in the first photo is the freight office, I believe. These are the "before" photos of the 470. When I get on my other computer, will post the "after" photos. We had relatives who ran a summer camp on East Pond and Oakland was the closest town to it. We would go up there every year for about two weeks during the summer for vacation. Would stay in wood cabins on the lake and walk a bit up to the main lodge and the dining room where our meals were served.

C.C.Chas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.097 seconds