Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Locomotive Components

Date: 12/24/13 02:50
Steam Locomotive Components
Author: apollo17

Quick question for anyone who reads this that might be in the know.
Is there a book or books or someplace that I can find a list of North American steam locomotive components and their function? I realize it would be huge, but is there any such list you know of. Most of us know what certain things are and what they do, like super heaters, tractive effort, steam dome, articulated engines ect. , but for someone that doesn't, they would be as lost as last years Easter Egg trying.

Thanks,

Dan

Date: 12/24/13 04:11
Re: Steam Locomotive Components
Author: lwilton

I do not have one myself, but from its name, I believe the Locomotive Encyclopedia (various versions over the years) likely would tell you most all of what you want. The drawback is it isn't available online, and costs a moderate amount as used paper.

If you only want a one-time reference, there may be better ways. I would suggest a search on Google Books (specifically Books, not the general search) for any term you want, including something like "parts of a locomotive". You will likely discover a number of very good books and journal articles from the 1880s to the 1940s that will answer most all your questions.

You could also search for "parts of a steam engine" but you will get a lot of info on stationary engines (which were a Big Thing a hundred years ago). Some of the basics will be applicable to locomotives, and some of it will not be. There were some books that covered both stationary and moving steam, which could be quite useful starting places.

Many of the books you will find were intended as either actual classwork texts or books for journeyman firemen wanting to become engineers, so are laid out is a good order to learn things, and using fairly simple and clear terminology with a minimum of jargon.

Date: 12/24/13 07:59
Author: Lightning_Slinger

Hi Dan
The book you need is the "Locomotive Cyclopedia" that was published for many years bythe Simmons-Bordman company. The 1940 or 1941 editions are especially nice, I'd suggest looking on eBay for reprints (originals are very expensive) or on www.Bookfinder.com.
Eddy

Date: 12/24/13 12:16
Author: Harlock

You can get the 1906 edition free online:

http://books.google.com/books?id=NOZSAAAAMAAJ

Click the picture of the cover to view it in your browser, or hover over the red "EBOOK - FREE" icon for other options such as a free PDF download.

That will cover just about everything except the latest advancements at the end of steam.

Now, if you want some context, and more than just a list, I recommend A History of the American Locomotive: Its Development, 1830–1880, by John H. White Jr. That will tell you about the evolution of many appliances and parts on the locomotive.

A used paperback edition is affordable: http://www.amazon.com/History-American-Locomotive-Development-1830%C2%961880/dp/0486238180/

-Mike

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/13 12:36 by Harlock.

Date: 12/24/13 16:02
Author: wcamp1472

More current books include:

The Steam Locomotive in America, by Alfred W. Bruce (American Locomotive Co.)
The Steam Locomotive, Ralph W. Johnson (Baldwin Locomotive Works)
Locate the NYC RR & NY State BOCES 1946 course on "Locomotive Firing "---- its on Google.

The books are maybe in re-print editions [maybe used book sources ---on-line?], BOCES is on-line.

Bruce's book is an overview of the developments in the 20th century -- the explanations are easy to grasp and Bruce is a GIANT of the loco manuf. bus.

Ralph W. Johnson was the Chief (mechanical) Engineer at Baldwin -- this is engineering info, detailed with math formulas, etc.
It REALLY gets down to details of loco designing --its a heavy read; but, his stuff is dead-accurate!

The NYC/BOCES book is how to operate the appliances used in running the locomotive. Does not get into air brakes or the engineer's controls and duties.
Its a correspondence course, easy reading, well organized, and very complete, easy-to-understand explanations.

The advantage these sources have is that they are authoritative & FROM the industry they have written about --not some coffee-table, picture books from railfans.

Bill Kratville has authored many well-written books on U.P. steam locos (as well as others) on the development and the factory production of UP's BIG power.
Kratville's copious pictures and explanations are masterful and very 'current'.
They include studies on: The 800s, Challengers, and Big Boys ---You'll love these books; I found very few, and moot, errors in Bill's books.

These should get you started

Hope this helps.

Wes Camp

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds