Home Open Account Help 162 users online

Steam & Excursion > Tough Little Engines

Date: 12/27/13 14:55
Tough Little Engines
Author: nycman

I'd like to start a discussion on tough little engines. I was impressed by the former Lake Superior and Ishpening engines that operated on the Grand Canyon, 18 and 29 (still there). These little Consols seem to have a heck of a lot of pulling power. Consols and Mikes have been impressive. Earl Knoob's thread below on the former T&P 316 provides another example. I'm sure all of you have seen impressive performances by smaller engines. Let's hear from you.

Date: 12/27/13 15:55
Re: Tough Little Engines
Author: firefighter25dfd

New Hope Valley Railway 17, an 0-4-0 tank engine that operates in Bonsal, North Carolina. I've attached a video of her pulling one of our Christmas trains earlier in the month up the 1.5% grade with wet rail from rain/sleet. www.triangletrain.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/27/13 20:03
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

That is an impressive little locomotive -- with a very nice
whistle. And she didn't slip once. That's a longer train
than I expected. Good puller! :) Thanks for that nice video.

Date: 12/28/13 07:51
Author: firefighter25dfd

Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is an impressive little locomotive -- with a
> very nice
> whistle. And she didn't slip once. That's a
> longer train
> than I expected. Good puller! :) Thanks for
> that nice video.

Actually if you listen she did slip twice but had a good quick recovery. Here is a cab ride video going up the grade on a different trip......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/13 08:01 by firefighter25dfd.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/28/13 19:58
Author: nycman

I finally found one of the few shots that I have of former LS&I, at the time Grand Canyon 18, now operating in Colorado. This shot taken at the south rim Grand Canyon in 2002 when 3751 visited. The engine in the middle is Grand Canyon, ex CB&Q 4960.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds