Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Steam & Excursion > Railfans Record The End Of Passenger Service -SLVS!

Date: 02/10/14 04:19
Railfans Record The End Of Passenger Service -SLVS!
Author: LoggerHogger

A simple notice was posted on the wall of the Blanca, Colorado depot on February 28, 1946, announcing that daily passenger, mail and express service would be discontinued effective March 31, 1946 on the San Luis Valley Southern Railroad Company.

While most of the public ignored this news, as they hardly ever rode the daily passenger train anymore, a handful of railfans saw this as a chance to record this event. Dick Kindig and a couple of his friends made the trek to Blanca, CO on March 29, 1946, just 2 days before the last scheduled train. They came not to ride the train but to record it's passing on film.

They were not disappointed when they had a bright and sunny day to film 1889 Baldwin built ex-D&RG #633 now in the form of SLVS #104 and combine #850 performing the second to the last such passenger run. The conductor came to the baggage door to see what all the fuss was about.

Sorry as we are that the SLVS went out of the business of hauling passengers, we can be glad the event did not go un-recorded.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/14 04:30 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 02/10/14 06:23
Re: Railfans Record The End Of Passenger Service -SLVS!
Author: KCCharlie

Several years ago a friend and I were returning to Kansas City after spending several days around Alamosa and were surprised to see the Blanca, Colo. depot was still standing as a residence. Thanks for posting this photo, taken about four months before I was born.

KCCharlie

Date: 02/10/14 07:55
Author: TonyJ

Thank you Martin for a look back at a time when passenger train abandonments were seldom noticed outside the community. That train would be a hit operating at a railroad museum today.

Date: 02/10/14 10:23
Author: zephyrus

Neat! Been fascinated by the SLVS for a long time. I own property about 1/2 mile from the old ROW a little ways north of Jaroso.

Z

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds