Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Steam & Excursion > 611 NCTM Restoration.

Date: 04/18/14 05:28
611 NCTM Restoration.
Author: thetrick

Being a big fan of the NCTM (North Carolina Transportation Museum) and of the 611 has brought me much joy recently, but also some questions. One being can you remove the rear engine truck from the 611 and still move it around? I ask this because I read that this is one reason NCTM was a desirable location was because of it's large drop tables, and the ability to remove the rear truck. The thing is that the two sets of drop tables are not in the bays that are normally used for heavy restoration work. Can they move 611 without that rear truck or will they need temporary shop truck?

Date: 04/18/14 05:40
Re: 611 NCTM Restoration.
Author: HotWater

First, the N&W 611 does NOT need the rear truck (Trailing Truck) removed. But, if it did, yes one could still "move it around".

Second, it is the Engine Truck that needs attention on 611, and the drop table at the NCTM, once rebuilt, is more than capable of dropping 611's Engine Truck for necessary repairs.

Date: 04/18/14 05:45
Author: thetrick

So is the "Engine truck" the front truck? Pardon my layman terminology.

Date: 04/18/14 05:46

thetrick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So is the "Engine truck" the front truck? Pardon
> my layman terminology.

Yes. So named because it leads the Engine into curves.

Date: 04/18/14 16:30
Author: Keystone1

HotWater...correct me if I am wrong... pony truck is 2 wheels, engine track is 4 wheels. Right?!?!

Date: 04/18/14 16:53

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HotWater...correct me if I am wrong... pony truck
> is 2 wheels, engine track is 4 wheels. Right?!?!

Correct.

Date: 04/19/14 17:32
Author: Keystone1

Hey! Thank you. I still know my engines.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0327 seconds