Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Steam & Excursion > N&W 611 with diesel helpers

Date: 04/18/14 08:00
N&W 611 with diesel helpers
Author: PERichardson

Since a discussion has started on what diesels might be used with the 611 when it resumes operations, I'll post a couple of images where they used GP38s which could be tucked behind the engine or in the consist without overwhelming everything around it, size-wise. In my opinion, the heritage units are just too big and would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

1. Two frames later of the Asheville, NC flower shot I posted earlier revealing a pair of SD40s right behind the tender. 5/30/93

2. Running clean stack east of Montgomery, VA 10/9/93, GP38 behind the tool car.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/14 16:32 by masterphots.

Date: 04/18/14 09:16
Re: N&W 611 with diesel helpers
Author: HotWater

Great stuff again Alan.

I remember when EMD was no longer going to produce the Diesel MU Control Boxes for steam locomotives, I passed the word to my friends at the time in the N&W Mechanical Dept. as well as the folks down in Birmingham at the steam shop. The official word came back, that they had NO PLANS to EVER MU a diesel with either 611 nor 1218! SO there you have it.

Obviously things may be a bit different when 611 returns, since the NS is now so much larger, with many more places to visit, where a diesel may be needed for dynamic brake support or to stretch fuel milage on long ferry moves.

Date: 04/18/14 14:14
Author: Clinchfield3000

Great shots! The diesel`s in the first shot are six axles and with no water car this appears to be the first trip that ran up Saluda.

Michael

Date: 04/18/14 16:30
Author: PERichardson

Clinchfield3000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shots! The diesel`s in the first shot are
> six axles and with no water car this appears to be
> the first trip that ran up Saluda.
>
> Michael

You're right, SD40s. That was not Saluda, coming into Asheville via Old Fort I believe. Start of the Saluda weekend though. There were no helpers on Saluda, I posted shots of the climb on April 11.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/14 16:34 by masterphots.

Date: 04/18/14 21:20
Author: Clinchfield3000

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clinchfield3000 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great shots! The diesel`s in the first shot are
> > six axles and with no water car this appears to
> be
> > the first trip that ran up Saluda.
> >
> > Michael
>
> You're right, SD40s. That was not Saluda, coming
> into Asheville via Old Fort I believe. Start of
> the Saluda weekend though. There were no helpers
> on Saluda, I posted shots of the climb on April
> 11.

Sunday May 30th 1993 was an Asheville to Spartanburg round trip according to Steam Central and Saturdays trip was to Barber Jct but it probably went on into Salisbury. I was there for the first Saluda run and probably this one as well. I knew your shot wasn`t taken on the grade itself but what I meant was I thought it was somewhere on that line because of not having a water car. I didn`t ever remember them not running with one on the trips across Old Fort mountain but I knew they didn`t use one on the Saluda trips. It was a long time ago so I`m probably wrong but glad to see your shots anyway. They bring back alot of good memories and I`m sure theres alot more good ones to come.

Michael

Date: 04/19/14 13:10
Author: YG

Beauties!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds