Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Steam & Excursion > chicago museum of science and industry

Date: 04/20/14 14:32
chicago museum of science and industry
Author: Cjcheely

Hello

I visited the Chicago museum of science and industry today, It a really nice museum worth going to.

Photo 1 and 2 New York Central and Hudson River Railroad No. 999

photo 3 Pioneer Zephyr

Date: 04/20/14 14:40
Re: chicago museum of science and industry

second set

Date: 04/20/14 15:15
Author: MJV1988

Been looking to go back there for awhile. Probably haven't been there in 10 years. They still have that huge HO layout of the city?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/20/14 16:47
Author: imrl

The Museum of Science and Industry is a wonderful museum! I was there a few years ago. Spent nearly 6 hours there and it still wasn't enough to soak everything up! The railroad displays were nice but the gem of the collection is the U-505.

Date: 04/20/14 16:53
Author: Bob3985

Great photos. I grew up near Chicago and used to visit the museum fairly often. I liked the U505 too but that is a family thing. LOL

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/20/14 18:29

Hello

The model train layout amazing! Also the U505 is display truly worth going to see.

I spent 5 hours walking around the museum !

Chris

Date: 04/20/14 18:57
Author: Cumbresfan

When I went through there last spring, there were classes of school kids everywhere. Lots of running, noise, pushing any button, etc. It was very distracting, to say the least.

In addition to the engines, there are the science exhibits, some which I frankly didn't understand. Though I consider myself familiar with the physical sciences (from the 70's), the new exhibits with, for example, computer generated graphics, memory chips and music from light blew me away. The older kids had fun with the latter while I was just trying to figure it out!

Date: 04/20/14 21:50
Author: BoilingMan

I saw the Zephyr when it was finally indoors. I'd heard they were working on getting the sub inside too- that sure turned out great!
Here are photos I took of the Zephyr in 1976, w the U-Boat behind it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/14 22:46 by BoilingMan.

Date: 04/20/14 23:11
Re: Chicago museum of science and industry
Author: Odyssey

I grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago in the 1950's-60's and remember the outdoor exhibits ... including the U-505 and Burlington Zephyr. Take a look at the Wikopedia page for the U-505 ... some amazing history. As a six-yr old in 1954, I vaguely remember the U-505 arriving at the museum ... the original model railroad on the main floor of the museum was truly a unique set-up. Have not had the chance to visit the Museum of Science and Industry since about 2000, so gotta put that back on my list ... it is truly a very unique museum and worth the effort to visit.

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 04/21/14 00:03
Author: Mgoldman

Nice pics, though, I must admit the one that holds the
most fascination with me is the last shot with the
Zephyr outside.

The Museum did a great job with it's displays and have
to be commended for their great preservation efforts
yet once inside, I feel sometimes equipment loses
something.

It's almost like trains at the hobby store vs trains
that have been unboxed and are running on your layout
later that afternoon.

Even when they are not moving, they just look so much
better outdoors. I like the IRM in Union occasionally
bring their engines (some of them, anyway) outdoors.

Like the Southern #1401 at the Smithsonian, it appears
NYC #999 and the Zephyr are battling it out with the
interpretative displays, signs, protective fences, and
stairs.

/Mitch

Date: 04/21/14 10:07
Author: PERichardson

My fave there is the United 727 that 'takes off and lands', landing gear and flaps up/down. A really cool display and fun to be both inside the plane and below it when all this takes place. Nighttime on the BNSF layout is great too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.242 seconds