Home Open Account Help 178 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Parade Of Steam Locomotives - Santa Maria Valley!

Date: 05/14/14 04:26
A Parade Of Steam Locomotives - Santa Maria Valley!
Author: LoggerHogger

I wish I had more information on this neat photo. We are trackside in the yards of the Santa Maria Valley RR in Santa Maria, California.

4 freshly painted and polished steam locomotives of the SMVRR are passing in review for the photographer. In the lead is SMV #125. This Baldwin 2-6-2 recently came down from logging duty in Oregon where she had been Columbia & Nehalem River RR #125. Notice that she still wears her war-time headlight shield indicating that this photo may have been taken just after the war.

Next in line is SMV #205. This Baldwin 2-6-2 came in 1933 from the San Joaquin & Eastern were she was their #205. Behind her is SMV #100 a Baldwin 2-8-2 that had come down to SMV from logging duty in Washington State where she was #100 for the Charles McCormick Lumber Co.

Finally, the last engine in the parade is SMV #100. This big ALCO 2-8-2 was originally built as Hetch-Hetchy Railroad #4. She was sold in 1927 to Newaukum Valley RR in Washington State where she was renumbered to #1000 before coming down to SMV.

Whatever the event, we are lucky that 3 of these 4 engines are still with us today.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/14 04:36 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 05/14/14 17:06
Re: A Parade Of Steam Locomotives - Santa Maria Valley!
Author: SMV1801leavingguad

Very impressive Martin. I too would like to know the occasion. Interesting to see the carload of dimensional lumber sitting on the old SP Milling spur also. I can just see the end of one of the crummies sitting on the house track. Do you have any idea what the cars are sitting on the team track?

Dave

Date: 05/14/14 23:34
Re: A Parade Of Steam Locomotives - Santa Maria Valley!
Author: DNRY122

Hard to tell for sure, but the cars in the distance look like SP drop-bottom gondolas. I used to see them going through Monrovia CA (east of Pasadena) with rock products from Azusa heading for Los Angeles on the Pacific Electric.

Photo is looking eastward at the SMVRR engine house. Steamers have been gone for several years, but the standpipe for filling tenders was still there in Aug. 1967.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0641 seconds