Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Meets The California Zephyr At Quincy Junction!

Date: 07/14/14 03:51
Steam Meets The California Zephyr At Quincy Junction!
Author: LoggerHogger

In the early 1960's the Quincy Railroad of Quincy, California was home to former Clover Valley Lumber 2-6-2 #8 then owned by the Feather River Short Line group. Occasionally the Baldwin #8 would be fired up and operated on the 2.5-mile long run from Quincy to the connection with the Western Pacific at Quincy Junction.

On the occasion shown here, FRSL #8 and her former Clover Valley Lumber caboose have come out to the junction to meet the California Zephyr as she speeds by. The contrast in motive power technology is striking.

Today the California Zephyr is long gone and FRSL #8 is in storage at Moundhouse, Nevada. Fortunatley the Quincy Railroad is still with us and operates trains to Quincy Junction each week.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/14 03:57 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/14/14 10:29
Re: Steam Meets The California Zephyr At Quincy Junctio
Author: zephyrus

Wow, two of my favorite railroad subjects in one place together. Excellent!

Z

Date: 07/14/14 20:05
Author: lynnpowell

Actually, todays Quincy RR runs 2-1/2 miles between Quincy Jct. and East Quincy, where the Sierra Pacific mill is located. Back in the 1960s, the railroad continued an additional 2-1/2 miles into Quincy, where they had their office/depot and single stall engine house. The only customer that I recall in Quincy was a petroleum dealership, but there was probably a freight house and team track there. I caught both the #8 and GE 44-tonner #3 parked beside the office one Sunday.

Date: 07/14/14 23:32
Author: TomG

My question is how was the #8 turned? I haven't found anything that shows a Wye on the Quincy, however the 8 spot is seen pointing the other direction most of the time. Anyone know if there was a Wye that's been removed?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.029 seconds