Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Steam & Excursion > SCPCCo #2 to Antonelli's pond

Date: 07/14/14 22:45
SCPCCo #2 to Antonelli's pond
Author: Harlock

Against my own better judgement, I bundled my still recovering-from-sick self into a car on Friday night and I rode the first Saturday excursion with SPCCo #2 "Chiggen" to just beyond Antonelli's pond to the edge of Wilder Ranch State Park.

I have to say it was worth how I am paying for it now personally.

The ride was unique - it pulled the trip out with no diesel (diesel followed closely behind) and there were some pretty good reverse grades and curves coming down the hill. At the Santa Cruz Main Yards, the diesel coupled on and SPCCo #2 dragged her away with us with no assist. The curve on the Wye leading to the Davenport branch is quite sharp and has a large grade to it leaving the yard. She barked, she slipped a few times, but drug 4 heavy cars and a dead diesel all the way out to Antonelli's pond.

Street running in Santa Cruz with steam is about as good as one would ever have thought it would be.

On the way back, the diesel pulled the whole lot up. There is no way to turn at Roaring Camp, so the engine was left on the rear and there is something about shoving the railroad doesn't like.

A really great day. Big thanks to Stathi and the rest of the Chiggen crew.

This was more of a ride it than shoot it thing especially given my health that day but I'll share a few pictures.

Photo 1: SCPCCo #2 taking on water, with an all too small pipe from the water tower. Did cause some delays, but mid-day between trips the water fill was hooked up directly upon returning so filling took place on a better schedule.

Photo 2: The engine with the enclosed coach directly behind.

Photo 3: going to check the water level through the normal fill hatch.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 07/14/14 22:47
Re: SCPCCo #2 to Antonelli's pond

Photo 1: Steam in the sky...it is really great to see steam return to this line. Never thought I would see the day.

Photo 2: Crossing the stone viaduct. Anyone catch the date on this structure?

Photo 3: Rare mileage: the Davenport Branch.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/14/14 22:50

Photo 1: Our fire patrol support! When the diesel was detached we had three sections!

Photo 2: Lots of foam today!

Photo 3: I faintly overheard someone telling us a story about this guy but it was too noisy to hear. If anyone has details let me know. He had a low slung bicycle, radio and camcorder. Apparently a regular fixture.

Thanks for looking!

-Mike

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/15/14 08:05
Author: YG

Great images Mike. Hope you have a quick recovery!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 07/15/14 10:37
Author: SCPCno2

Great photos and descriptions!!!
Thank you for sharing them.

The event was excellent and a grand success with all trips sold out.
The 1909 H. K. Porter performed beautifully, and the crew was great.
On Sunday, July 13, after the last run of the weekend had returned to Roaring Camp, the staff and crews were in the mood for something more. So, crew members, staff, friends, and anyone still hanging around got a treat. We all boarded the train and went up track to a part that they usually never run on. We stopped on a trestle and folks got out for a photo op. It was a super nice, enjoyable extra and lots of fun.
Shining times indeed!

Congratulations to the folks who put on this special event. It was a gem!
And congratulations to Stathi Pappas, to all the crew members, and to Santa Cruz Portland Cement #2!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/15/14 13:03
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Mike --
Thanks SO much for the GREAT photos and video!
I hope you feel much better very soon. (You drove
all the way from Mojave to ride behind the Chiggen?
That's dedication! Glad you were able to do it, even
though you were ill.)

Long live the Chiggen!

Date: 07/15/14 14:49
Author: nycman

Thanks, Mike, and hope you are getting better. The Chiggen is sure getting around, and deservedly so after such a meticulous rebuild by Stathi and his crew. I followed this for years during annual visits to Mt. Rainier Scenic. We fans will miss Stathi there. I keep missing the Chiggen by a day or two. Missed her initial run at MRSR, and missed her at Niles Canyon as well. Keep on steamin', Chiggen and crew.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0663 seconds