Home Open Account Help 173 users online

Steam & Excursion > MRSR Railfan Event

Date: 07/20/14 13:27
MRSR Railfan Event
Author: MRSR_Bob

The Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad & Museum operated a special railfan event in conjunction with the grand opening of the new museum complex in Mineral, WA. Here Polson Logging Company 2-8-2 #70 and Hammond Lumber Company 2-8-2T #70 depart Elbe with the train on the way to the dedication ceremony.

Date: 07/20/14 13:29
Re: MRSR Railfan Event
Author: MRSR_Bob

Here the special train is passing through Park Junction, WA on the way to Mineral. This is one of my favorite locations for photos on the Elbe to Mineral section.

Date: 07/20/14 16:10
Author: nycman

Bob must have taken 1000 pix Saturday. The event was a great experience. For those of you who have visited the shops at Mineral in the past, you would not believe the change in the scenery there. The grounds look terrific, nice lawns, many buildings and logging equipment moved from Camp 6 and displayed there. The Mt. Rainier Scenic now has a destination. No more just go to Mineral Lake. The new picnic grounds are at Mineral and there are plans to move a steam operated sawmill to the site, as well as Tom Murray's smaller scale live steamers and logging equipment. Tom was there to cut the ribbon for the dedication of the new site. Those "VIP's" in attendance were treated to a guided tour of the facilities by Brian Wise, a doubleheaded trip from Mineral to Elbe and return, as covered by Bob, box lunches on the train, and when the group returned to Mineral, the ribbon cutting and dedication took place. Rayonier Willamette No. 2 was also fired up and cab rides were available to all attendees, as well as a catered barbecue dinner at the picnic grounds.
I have included a shot of Hammond Lumber 2-8-2T No. 17, the most recently overhauled locomotive at MRSR, and a shot of three steamed up. The weather was great all day despite forecast of rain. Ran into some old friends and made some new ones. Jim700 was the hogger on 17 all day.

Date: 07/20/14 19:39
Author: MMD

Great photos, on # 17 it looks as if the exhaust for the air pump is 'piped' up the side of the stack, was this always like this or is it something that was done in the just finished rebuild. Any reason for this ???? as I've never seen it on other locos of this type.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 07/20/14 21:21
Author: MartyBernard

If you took pictures of the new logging town, please post them. Thanks.

Marty Bernard

Date: 07/20/14 21:27

Marty, this is just a small portion of it, but I will process more of my files later and hopefully show some more .

Date: 07/21/14 06:39
Author: YG

Thanks for the great photos. Really happy about all the changes at MRSR and can't wait to visit again!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 07/21/14 10:38
Author: Hillcrest

The work Brian and the guys have done and the progress being made is amazing, it's like Camp 6 on steroids. Thanks for the photos Bob and Fitz, 70 and 17 look great!

Cheers, Dave

Date: 07/21/14 16:07

Malcolm, Looking at old pix of 17, it's hard to tell. Some photos show a pipe, but it's not straight like that one. The dynamo for sure had a pipe up the other side of the stack.
I will post more when I get around to processing them.

Date: 07/24/14 19:42

Here's an "in your face" shot of Hammond Lumber 2-8-2T approaching our train to couple up and haul us to Elbe. Taken from the rear observation car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/14 19:46 by nycman.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds