Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Changing Faces Of SP Steam Shop Switchers!

Date: 08/08/14 04:19
The Changing Faces Of SP Steam Shop Switchers!
Author: LoggerHogger

Over the years of steam operations, the Southern Pacific re-purposed old steam switch engines that were nearly worn out into shop goats for the various roundhouses they had on their system. Taylor Roundhouse in Los Angelas was one such place where these shop switchers were stationed.

When the older shop switchers finally were worn out beyond all repair the shops were tasked with building "new" goats out of other old switch engines. SPMW #221 was built by the Rogers Locomotive works in 1881 as a standard 0-6-0. In 1915 the Sacramento Shops converted her into this 0-6-0T configuration as you see here. She ran like this until 1940 when she was 59 years old and totally worn out.

In 1940 the Sacramento Shops created SPMW #567 out of an old 1903 built S-5 0-6-0. They gave her s streamlined look to go with the new image that SP was trying to bring to Southern California with the beautiful Daylight trains.

Both engines were posed here in 1940 to show just how different 2 engines built to do the same job could be.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/14 04:30 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/08/14 05:53
Re: The Changing Faces Of SP Steam Shop Switchers!
Author: TonyJ

Nice comparison. Of course I wonder what the shop personnel who regular worked on the #567 though of having to deal with stuff under the streamlining. It's like a automobile where the designers had the last word over the mechanics.

Date: 08/08/14 07:39
Author: YG

Amazing on several levels...

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/08/14 08:33
Author: wingomann

Is that a seat box under the arm rest on the 221. I know that it's easiest to sit on the windowsill when doing switching on a steam engine - so did the shop forces make it a little more delux for the hosler?

Date: 08/08/14 08:39

Yes, that is a seatbox for the engineer. That was very common for engines used in switching service.

Martin

Date: 08/08/14 09:57
Author: jkh2cpu

Love these shots. I'd like to know what was in the Bayshore Roundhouse the day this was taken.

John.

Date: 08/08/14 11:14
Author: zephyrus

Wow. That Taylor Shop engine is cool. Never seen that before.

Z

Date: 08/08/14 21:05
Author: Cabhop

I wonder what's the story behind the shamrock in the "flying meatball" on the streamlined L.A. Switcher?

Pat

Date: 08/08/14 22:14

jkh2cpu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love these shots. I'd like to know what was in
> the Bayshore Roundhouse the day this was taken.
>
> John.

We could come up with a list if Martin has a date for the photo.

Date: 08/09/14 04:58

The Bayshore photo is April 4, 1922.

Martin

Date: 08/09/14 07:00

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Bayshore photo is April 4, 1922.
>
> Martin

Wow! Other than construction photos that has to be one of the earliest Bayshore roundhouse photos I've seen. Going back to the question jkh2cpu asked about wondering what might of been at the roundhouse when the photo was taken certainly can't be accurately answered since we can't see them, but it's safe to say 4-6-0s and early 4-6-2s would have been passenger power, and 2-8-0s and 2-8-2s would have been for freights. This should have been the era of the end of 4-4-0s and just prior to the two 2-6-2s from the EP&SW being transfered for commute train duties. I have a photo or two showing the Bayshore deadline in the early 1930s and 4-4-0s and the 2-6-2s are in them. That all said, if only the photographer would have taken photos of what was inside and around the roundhouse.

Date: 08/09/14 19:29
Author: Mgoldman

Every time Martin posts a photo, the scale brass manufactures come
up with their next project, lol.

Great stuff - as always!

/Mitch

Date: 08/09/14 22:06
Author: railstiesballast

The Taylor Shop tradition as of April, 1974

Date: 08/10/14 07:36

Somewhere I have a shot of when one of the Alco C-415s was the shop switcher there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds