Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Steam & Excursion > Mislabeled Negative-Where is SP #2831 Really Parked?

Date: 08/18/14 04:07
Mislabeled Negative-Where is SP #2831 Really Parked?
Author: LoggerHogger

Every once in a while you come across a negative that is mislabeled as to location. Here is just such an example.

This photo was taken by Bert Ward in October 1952. At the time Bert was working as a trainman for the SP out of Eugene, Oregon. He traded this negative to Guy Dunscomb who labeled the negative sleeve as Crescent Lake, Oregon. While Bert did work freights "Over The Hill" from Eugene to Crescent Lake on occasion, this photo does not look like the yards in Crescent Lake.

My guess is Roseburg, Oregon. Can anyone confirm the actual location?

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/14 04:12 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/18/14 06:45
Re: Mislabeled Negative-Where is SP #2831 Really Parked
Author: sundance

Martin, it looks to me like Ashland OR.

Steve

Date: 08/18/14 06:58

Steve,

That is an interesting thought. I am not certain it is Ashland. We should see the depot on the left and I do not recall that railing on the left.

Martin

Date: 08/18/14 08:08
Author: sundance

Martin

I believe the depot is probably to the left out of view. A cut has been made in that string of cars to provide access to the yard and shop area. As to what appears to be a fence i believe to be an air tube delivery system to transport paperwork from the depot to the east end switchmans shanty.

Steve

Date: 08/18/14 08:25
Author: TonyJ

I also am inclined to believe the photo location is Ashland. The hills in the background seem to match.

Date: 08/18/14 09:12
Author: lwilton

There does not appear to be any fence material in that 'fence'. So whatever it is, it isn't really a fence. Assuming those are 40' cars on the left, it looks like the support posts in the 'fence' are about 4 feet apart, plenty of room for someone to walk under. I can't really determine the height, but I'm guessing at something around 6' high

Note there is something really strange about the two or three farthest right tracks. I can't tell if they have been torn up at the end of the white building, or if they have simply never extended up to the large brick factory or warehouse..

Date: 08/18/14 09:25
Author: wabash2800

The brick building on the right is not a roundhouse is it?

Date: 08/18/14 09:28
Author: HotWater

sundance Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Martin
>
As to
> what appears to be a fence i believe to be an air
> tube delivery system to transport paperwork from
> the depot to the east end switchmans shanty.
>
> Steve

That is a pretty sharp 90 degree bend in that pipe for a message tube/canister to negotiate.

Date: 08/18/14 09:47

The brick building on the right is in fact a roundhouse. That would be correct for Ashland.

Martin

Date: 08/18/14 09:53
Author: spnudge

That pipe is for in-house steam, from the RH area, over to the depot.

Nudge

Date: 08/18/14 20:05
Author: illini73

I agree with the Ashland, OR location. I've visited family there many times and have explored the old SP yard/roundhouse area on foot. If you look up "Clear Creek Drive" in Ashland on Google Maps and go to the (compass) west end of the street in street view, you'll see the same hills on the horizon. That street ends just railroad west (to S.F. but nearly compass east through Ashland) of where the engine facility was. North-south highway 99 also runs west to east, which further confused me for years.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds