Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Steam & Excursion > Scrapping of Steam

Date: 08/20/14 15:07
Scrapping of Steam
Author: apollo17

There's something I've noticed for many years. While there's plenty of photos of steam while it was in service and in it's last years, there aren't nearly as many of them when they were scrapped. Does anyone here happen to have any photos showing Big Boys, Challengers, Northerns or maybe even N&W's steam being cut up? Was the reason why there aren't many photos around because of the inaccessibility to the scrap yards that did it? Just something I've been curious about.

Date: 08/20/14 15:25
Re: Scrapping of Steam
Author: LoggerHogger

There are actually quite a few such photos of these engines being scrapped. Many can be found in the books covering each of these types of engines.

The only reason there are relatively few such photos is that even back in the days of steam scrapping it was recognized that scrap yards were dangerous. Railfans would have to get permission to get in and take their photos which was generally not need in the rail yards themselves.

Also, many railfans simply did not want to take photos of engines being scrapped as they thought it was not something they wanted to save for all time.

I do have what may be the most complete photographic record of the scrapping of a single steam locomotive. It was April 1960 and the very last NP engine to be in steam was brought to South Tacoma, Washington where she was scrapped. A professional photographer chronicled the entire 2 day scrapping event. I have the 100+ negatives he took of the process and the men who did the task. It is a fascinating study of a seldom seen event.

I printed all the negatives and made them into a book showing the process from start to finish. I display the book with the builders plate off the engine that was the subject of the scrapping.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/14 15:27 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/20/14 17:02
Author: iliketrains

Hi Martin:

Time Lap photos - that's cool.

Can you place them somewhere where we can take a look-see?

Date: 08/20/14 17:59
Author: chico

Martin that would make a very interesting slide show.

Date: 08/20/14 18:32
Author: CZ10

chico Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Martin that would make a very interesting slide
> show.

Indeed, set to a very mournful dirge. Martin, I
hope you can share some of those photos with us in
the future.

Date: 08/20/14 18:44
Author: filmteknik

Weren't there some Big Boy scrapping photos in R&R within the last couple years?

Date: 08/20/14 22:45
Author: jbwest

Not a happy picture. An SP cab forward being scrapped in South San Francisco. Circo 1959.

JBWX

Date: 08/21/14 12:21
Author: Frisco1522

That's just wrong.
My Dad and I used to go over to Granite City and Madison, IL on Sundays and see long lines of engines sitting there. Was really sad.
I enjoy seeing diesels get scrapped though. They have no souls. Karma is a b.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds