Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Steam & Excursion > Middletown & Hummelstown Mixed Freight - This Weekend

Date: 08/28/14 11:06
Middletown & Hummelstown Mixed Freight - This Weekend
Author: bigjim4life

I'm not sure if this has been posted here before, I don't remember - but the Middletown & Hummelstown in Middletown, PA is offering "mixed freight" rides this weekend - after the regularly scheduled runs of the day, leaving at 3:30, $30 per person with a photo runby included. It's listed under the Special Events section of their schedule:

http://www.mhrailroad.com/schedule/

No word on the motive power - but it probably won't be their 2-6-0. ;)

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 08/28/14 12:41
Re: Middletown & Hummelstown Mixed Freight - This Weeke
Author: Keystone1

I personally will not go there. I drove 2 1/2 hours each way, three years ago when they were advertising that their ex-Canadian National 2-6-0 would be pulling a mixed train and will be relettered Canadian National. When I arrived, the engine was stone cold in the enginehouse. An employee told me that NO WORK at all had been performed on the locomotive to make her run. I then went into the ticket office to speak to the female attendant. She couldn't care less when I showed her the M&H's full color brochure, advertising the steam mixed train with correctly relettered steam locomotive. She said...the men didn't get to it. Ride the diesel.(Not even an attempt at an apology.) I turned around and drove 2 1/2 hours home. The Middletown & Hummelstown leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Date: 08/28/14 13:09
Author: wag216

And, I will not be coming to see their railroad until they hang some overhead. I have had some rides with the KCPS 2; later was the H&N 3. Does anyone have photos of this power while on the Iowa Traction? And on the M&H? wag216

Date: 08/28/14 13:19
Author: bigjim4life

I spoke too soon. According to the M&H's Facebook page, the Mixed Freights have been cancelled due to lack of reservations. I quote directly from the FB page:

"The "mixed freights" that were scheduled for this coming weekend have been canceled due to lack of reservations.
We're wondering if perhaps the general public doesn't know what these things are... a mixed freight is a freight train with a passenger coach tacked onto the tail. Opportunities for this are rare, and photo run-bys would have been provided. If there are enough railfans out there to fill a coach for Saturday afternoon, we can still run it, but you must call 717-944-4435 to make a reservation."

My response was: "I don't recall it being advertised here on Facebook...or anywhere else for that matter."

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 08/28/14 15:52
Author: HotWater

bigjim4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I spoke too soon. According to the M&H's Facebook
> page, the Mixed Freights have been cancelled due
> to lack of reservations. I quote directly from
> the FB page:
>
> "The "mixed freights" that were scheduled for this
> coming weekend have been canceled due to lack of
> reservations.
> We're wondering if perhaps the general public
> doesn't know what these things are... a mixed
> freight is a freight train with a passenger coach
> tacked onto the tail. Opportunities for this are
> rare, and photo run-bys would have been provided.
> If there are enough railfans out there to fill a
> coach for Saturday afternoon, we can still run it,
> but you must call 717-944-4435 to make a
> reservation."
>
> My response was: "I don't recall it being
> advertised here on Facebook...or anywhere else for
> that matter."

Wow! That sure sounds like a well organized operation.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.05 seconds