Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Steam & Excursion > Newest mainline track in Bay Area & GGRM today.

Date: 08/30/14 23:51
Newest mainline track in Bay Area & GGRM today.
Author: weather

Had to work today so I couldn't do a lot of shooting but in a round about way to work this afternoon I did get several shots that may be interesting to some. The Niles Canyon Railway has launched a project to rebuild the ex-SP row and extend the reach of the PLA into Pleasanton. To that end, they bid on over a mile of Caltrans panel track declared surplus with 136 lb rail and brand new 11 foot ties. This will extend the railroad to just under the I-680 underpass at Bernal Rd. a mile and a half short of the historic downtown. The first image shows the crossing at Verona Rd. with the beginning of the class 4 track. (Max speed will remain at 30 mph, however.) The next image looks north showing the first panels in place with additional panels in the distance. Finally, couldn't resist a shot of GGRM's ex-SP #2472 crossing the Dresser Bridge over the San Lorenzo River and Highway 84. I could hear the stack talk reverberating up the canyon. The engine will operate out of Sunol on Labor Day with trips at 11 am, 1 pm and 3 pm. Pulling the consist downgrade to Niles will be the beautifully resorted FM #1487. Much of the early work on this locomotive was spear headed by Mike Mangini who donated the ash can headlights. Here is a shot coming into Niles. Text and Photos COPYRIGHT, 2014 by Mike Pechner.

Date: 08/30/14 23:53
Re: Newest mainline track in Bay Area & GGRM today.

It would be interesting someone knows whether these engine ever rain in Niles Canyon.

Date: 08/31/14 00:00

Before someone jumps on the bandwagon, this project is a restoration while SMART is a rebuilding, yes, Virgina, there is a difference!

Date: 08/31/14 05:03
Author: GoldenState

weather Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Finally, couldn't resist a shot of
> GGRM's ex-SP #2472 crossing the Dresser Bridge
> over the San Lorenzo River and Highway 84.

Mike,
Alameda Creek runs through Niles canyon. The San Lorenzo River comes into Santa Cruz or Capitola, can't remember which.
Thanks for the text and photos.
Rob

Date: 08/31/14 06:19

Of course, Thanks, Rob, I had a brain fart. Also, Mike Strider is the Chief Engineer and is responsible for the superb alignment and profile.

Date: 08/31/14 08:17
Author: spladiv

Are they going to stagger the rail joints or just pop in the panels?

Date: 08/31/14 08:59
Author: ChrisCampi

spladiv Wrote:
> Are they going to stagger the rail joints or just
> pop in the panels?

Stagger.

Chris

Date: 08/31/14 09:11
Author: TCnR

Remember chasing a Cotton Belt SD45-T2 past that underpass and then caught it again on Altamont. Then it was abandoned and then the rail pulled up. Seems like the perfect place for PLA and their heritage equipment, would be great if they make it into Pleasonton.

Date: 08/31/14 11:00
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

I am so glad the PLA is going to go to Pleasanton.
That will be great when it finally happens.

Nice photos, Mike! Thanks for the update on
what is going on. (Wonder how it could be that
CalTrain didn't need that panel track?)

Date: 08/31/14 11:00
Author: wabash2800

Wow, I can't wait to get out there one of these days.

Date: 08/31/14 12:53
Author: Milwaukee

If this will take the track to Bernal Road that is just about 4 blocks short of the old Pleasanton Station. I would think that would be a great destination for the line. Why not make reaching that station (and returning it to use as a train station) not make a worthy goal? The comment in the original post makes it sound like the desire is to go much deeper into Pleasanton is why I ask.

Date: 08/31/14 13:43
Author: zephyrus

Milwaukee Wrote:
> If this will take the track to Bernal Road that is
> just about 4 blocks short of the old Pleasanton
> Station. I would think that would be a great
> destination for the line. Why not make reaching
> that station (and returning it to use as a train
> station) not make a worthy goal? The comment in
> the original post makes it sound like the desire
> is to go much deeper into Pleasanton is why I ask.

The area around the station is built up, with a parking lot on the ROW and many merchants don't want the trains in town.

Plus, there is a senior care facility just past I-680 that is convinced the vibrations of the trains will be harmful to the residents.

Basically, a lot of fancy ways to say NIMBY.

Z

Date: 08/31/14 21:20
Author: TCnR

Right, I vaguely remember a NIMBY story about not wanting the rails at the old station/depot/freight house/whatever it is. Would be nice to get into the area some how though, even just a peek past the freeway into the town.

Not so much the 'vibrations' of the passing museum train, more like the steam whistles. They have their place but that would be pushing it in a residential area, which is Pleasonton's present claim to fame.

Now the bells would be cool...

Date: 09/01/14 02:54
Author: coach

I will never understand Pleasanton's resistance to this idea. I would HAPPILY take a round trip to Pleasanton, go walk around, or go to the County Fair, or go to eat, or go do some shopping, then return via train. It just makes so much sense.

As for the train hurting seniors, the last time I checked, many seniors hurt others i.e. bad driving. And we face that real risk every day, everywhere! A passing train harming them? GET REAL.

Date: 09/01/14 09:51
Author: rusticmike6

Last time I was in P'town the ROW through town was used as parking for the shops along Main Street. I wonder if they notice the PIPELINE signs along the ROW. As I recall the pipeline comes down the old San Ramon Branch to East Pleasanton, then follows the old SP ROW all the way to Sunol then heads South to San Jose. Possible use is/was jet fuel for the San Jose Airport. Be careful where you dig.

I spent many hours trying to convince the Pleasanton City Council that we could be a real resource to the town. I guess they couldn't wait.

Date: 09/01/14 11:50
Author: Realist

coach Wrote:
> I will never understand Pleasanton's resistance to
> this idea. I would HAPPILY take a round trip to
> Pleasanton, go walk around, or go to the County
> Fair, or go to eat, or go do some shopping, then
> return via train.

Or go to a Good Guys car show event.

It just makes so much sense.
>
> As for the train hurting seniors, the last time I
> checked, many seniors hurt others i.e. bad
> driving. And we face that real risk every day,
> everywhere! A passing train harming them? GET
> REAL.

Date: 09/01/14 12:27
Author: ChrisCampi

Also to be considered is there are three grade crossings to be dealt with to get across Bernal to the old station. Big money needed to do that and most likely not worth the inconvenience for local traffic in my opinion.

Options for downtown from Bernal are a fairly short walk or bus shuttle.

Chris

Date: 09/03/14 08:31
Author: Cumbresfan

zephyrus Wrote:
> Milwaukee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If this will take the track to Bernal Road that
> is
> > just about 4 blocks short of the old Pleasanton
> > Station. I would think that would be a great
> > destination for the line. Why not make
> reaching
> > that station (and returning it to use as a
> train
> > station) not make a worthy goal? The comment
> in
> > the original post makes it sound like the
> desire
> > is to go much deeper into Pleasanton is why I
> ask.
>
>
> The area around the station is built up, with a
> parking lot on the ROW and many merchants don't
> want the trains in town.
>
> Plus, there is a senior care facility just past
> I-680 that is convinced the vibrations of the
> trains will be harmful to the residents.
>
> Basically, a lot of fancy ways to say NIMBY.
>
> Z

O.k. I'm totally confused. Looking at Google Earth (Feb 2014) I can see sections of old track plus a couple of signal posts just short of the Bernal Road crossing. There are also references above to the I-680/Bernal Rd. underpass but GE does not show the old SP track going that far north (that location is about a mile north of the old ROW).

Does the museum have rights/permission to go into Pleasanton at far as Bernal Road (adjacent to 1st street)? Or are they required to stop at the I-680 overpass??

I agree that going to the station is a no-go due to build up of business and such, but the ROW to Bernal Road looks clear and if that is the target location it indeed is a short walk to the old station and shops nearby..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds