Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steamy Sunflowers On The Farm

Date: 09/01/14 19:25
Steamy Sunflowers On The Farm
Author: switchlock

Seems like I'm able to make it to Abilene, KS just once a season anymore to see the former AT&SF 3415 run. I caught her today at the same old grade crossing that is so popular and much safer to visit after last night's heavy rain. But, I was able to mix things up a bit from this vantage point...different for my files, anyway.

Date: 09/01/14 19:46
Re: Steamy Sunflowers On The Farm
Author: IC_2024

That's a great shot! I love to work ROW sunflowers into shots when I'm back in the midwest.. The farm's perfect, too.. Thanks for sharing and glad you made it again this year!

Date: 09/01/14 23:35
Author: MartyBernard

Yes, execellent composition.

Marty

Date: 09/02/14 00:03
Author: traingeek087

Nice photo. I need to get down there soon before they put that thing away for the year.

How is the track looking these days on the ASVRR? I know they were putting in some ties earlier this year. Any photos?

Traingeek087

Date: 09/02/14 00:11
Author: XUP4014

Great shot Jim .

Dave

Date: 09/02/14 06:56

Thanks to a generous donor to our current capital campaign, we have contracted an outfit to do some track work on the places that need it the most. Even with their help, it's still slow going. Six miles isn't very long until you fix it 39 feet at a time!

Date: 09/02/14 07:55
Author: oklachaser

Great photo & composition.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 09/02/14 08:28
Author: YG

Great shot!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 09/02/14 17:48
Author: unclebob

traingeek087 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photo. I need to get down there soon before
> they put that thing away for the year.
>
> How is the track looking these days on the ASVRR?
> I know they were putting in some ties earlier this
> year. Any photos?
>
> Traingeek087

The track is looking much, much better in the areas that needed it the most. We have had them concentrate from Jeep Road on east towards Enterprise. This allows us to work closer to town and spend less time running equipment out and back, and earlier in the year avoided our shorter "school runs".

With the weekly season coming to an end (Wed-Sun)and moving to weekend only, hopefully the pace they are working at will pick up a little, as they won't be trying to work around our train schedule. With contributions continuing to come in, I know they ordered more ties last week to have the contractor do more areas.

Not only does the track look better, it feels better! Much less rocking!

On another note, the bridge was fixed prior to this season starting. We had turned down a grant of over $500,000 with us matching 20%, mainly based on the fact that we wanted to get it fixed ASAP, and the solicitation for design bids would only be starting now in September. We finished the project on time, and with donation of time/materials at just over $84,000.

The RR has not taken on any debt with these projects.

Mike

Date: 09/03/14 01:18
Author: traingeek087

Thanks for the update on the track status Unclebob. Are you a volunteer there?

Traingeek087

Date: 09/03/14 19:23
Author: upkpfan

Jim,
How much rain did you have? We had 3" Sunday night and another 1.40" Tue. night. upkpfan

Date: 09/04/14 06:20

Marv, our gauge showed about 1.25 over a couple of days/nights. We still need a drink.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds