Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Steam & Excursion > Labor Day Weekend on the Virginia & Truckee- Part 1

Date: 09/05/14 17:37
Labor Day Weekend on the Virginia & Truckee- Part 1
Author: JDLX

Last weekend (Labor Day) my daughter and I traveled across the silver state from our home in Elko County to the Virginia & Truckee Railroad. What followed was three days of riding all three current iterations of the V&T. This first thread will look at the Nevada Commission for the Reconstruction of the V&T Railway and their operation.

McCloud River always has been my primary interest, and I'd followed the various movements of the former McCloud #18 since it departed McCloud. I was on hand in McCloud for its last run in August 2005, but had only seen the locomotive in operation one time since, on a Sierra Railroad excursion the day after Winterail 2008.

I'd wanted to ride the reconstructed V&T from Carson City to Virginia City since it reopened in 2009, but it was one of those railroads just far enough away that it was a multi-day trip, but so close that it got overshadowed by more exotic destinations farther afield. I finally decided to rectify that this year.

We rode the reconstructed V&T last Saturday, 30 August 2014. After a staged gunfight at the Eastgate depot, the train proceeded uphill, pausing for a while at Scales so that another train could clear out of Gold Hill. A small band of the Virginia Range's estray horses entertained the passengers during the pause. The train arrived in Virginia City, where we were turned loose to wander the streets of Virginia City for several hours before returning to Eastgate.

In these views we see the #18 preparing the depart Eastgate, then again detraining passengers at Virginia City. Finally, Virginia City hosted its annual Civil War re-enactment event that weekend, and going both directions an Army of Northern Virginia City (I don't know if they call themselves that, but if they don't they should) artillery battery fired upon the train while passing through Gold Hill.

To be continued.

Date: 09/05/14 17:40
Re: Labor Day Weekend on the Virginia & Truckee- Part 1

Three more views of the reconstructed Virginia & Truckee Railroad...#18 and coach #103 at Eastgate late in the day, the #18 waiting while the passengers board for the "Toast of the Canyon" wine tasting train Saturday evening, and then finally the #18 approaching Red Rock Road on Sunday morning.

To be continued.

Date: 09/05/14 17:42

Last picture of this thread...the #18 leading Sunday morning's train uphill out of Mound House.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 09/05/14 19:00
Author: IC_2024

Great shots, Jeff! Still haven't done the V&T, but have great memories of the #18 on both the McCloud and the Sierra for a short time. Your photos make me want to plan a trip to the V&T soon!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds