Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Steam & Excursion > A 425 Service

Date: 09/14/14 09:31
A 425 Service
Author: m1bprr

Saturday 9/13/14 at Nesquehonning as the FD waters up the tender's, and the R&N Steam crew service 425, then she returns to Jim Thorpe.
Ed K. OH WELL PRODUCTIONS
cp Laurel Run

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/14/14 12:59
Re: A 425 Service
Author: MP4093

OK Ed. At the beginning of this video and in your earlier one, the 425 has a short, shiny brass top lever plain whistle, possibly a Reading freight whistle. You even do a close up shot of it. When the engine leaves from being serviced it now has what appears to be a tall, round top, dirty brass chime whistle. As much of a horn and whistle enthusiast that you are I know you must have the rest of the story.

Date: 09/14/14 13:30
Author: AcDC9902

Reading freight hooter in the morning, Pennsy K4 whistle in the afternoon.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/14/14 14:59
Author: typebangin

Interesting - when did they turn the locomotive? In the last clip she was still facing the wrong way for the return trip.

-James
http://www.steamtrainvideos.com

Date: 09/14/14 16:03

The return trip was tender first.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/14/14 16:48
Author: MP4093

AcDC9902 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reading freight hooter in the morning, Pennsy K4
> whistle in the afternoon.

Thanks, that answers my question and I get to hear some whistles I've not heard before. The K4 sounds nice and the Reading is a treat. I've understand the PRR "Banshee" freight whistle was a real screamer and somewhat an acquired taste.
What whistle does the 425 usually carry. I have a recording of this engine made in 1987 by Brad Miller that is one of my all time favorites and wonder if it is the K4 or something else. This engine has always had a great sound with sharp, deep stack talk. Very commanding for an engine this size. Good to see she is still running and hope someday to witness her live and in person.

Date: 09/15/14 05:29

I wouldn't say there is one whistle that is normally on. We've had 6 different Reading 6 chimes on in the past few years. We did have a Banshee on once, it definitely is an acquired taste. It wore a Pennsy 3 chime in the early BM&R days. If you've never seen the locomotive in person I highly recommend it. It may look like hell right now but the exhaust is unbelievable. Video doesn't do any justice. If you ever make it here to see it look me up. I'd be happy to show anyone around.
Ryan

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/14 05:32 by AcDC9902.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds