Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Steam & Excursion > Last Excursion Sunday for NKP 765

Date: 09/16/14 04:52
Last Excursion Sunday for NKP 765
Author: SDP40F600

Nickel Plate Road No. 765 finished its two-week visit to the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad in Northeast Ohio this past Sunday. The 2-8-4 Berkshire pulled a trio of trips that each lasted approximately an hour and all of which originated at the Boston Mill station. At the conclusion of each trip, the 765 executed a single photo runby past Boston Mill station.

Of course, as I write this the 765 is still on the CVSR, cooling its heels at the Fitzwater shops because the plans to return home to New Haven, Ind., on Monday were foiled by a derailment of a Norfolk Southern train. The 765 apparently will now ferry back to Indiana this weekend.

I didn't have any grand plans to photograph the 765 on its last day of "revenue service" on the CVSR. I thought I'd get the first trip of the day of the train by Deep Lock Quarry and coming out of Peninsula. There is a grade here and the 765 sounds really good coming by here. I had staked out this position last year.

(Photo 1): By the time the 765 came south for the first trip of the day out of Boston Mill at 10:15 a.m. the sun was high up enough to get over the trees and provide illumination through the gaps, one of which is the Cuyahoga River. This would turn out to be my favorite image of the day of the 765 in action. The train is crossing the river.

(Photo 2): I waited for the 765 to return to Boston Mill, although I moved further north toward the river crossing. These tracks are located inside the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

(Photo 3): The 765 and its train have just crossed the Cuyahoga River. There is just enough steam and smoke that combined with the bright headlight makes it appear as through the train is coming toward me, not away from me.

Date: 09/16/14 05:07
Re: Last Excursion Sunday for NKP 765

After the passage of the 765 north past Deep Lock Quarry, I was left with the question of "now what?" The next trip would be at 12:30 p.m. and I was going to catch it along Riverview Road north of Boston Mill. The operating plan was to go south, go north and then go south again out of Boston Mill for the one-hour excursions.

I was driving in the direction of Boston Mill, not sure where to hang out to kill time. The regular CVSR Scenic train was coming up from Akron and the 765 and its train would need to get out of the way. I figured the 765 would pull down to Peninsula and the trains would meet there. I could get photos of the meet.

But by the time I hatched this plan I had already driven past Peninsula and Boston Mill was just ahead. On a whim I pulled into the parking area for the Boston Mill station and thought I'd get some crowd shots. It was then that I learned that the 765 was about to do a photo runby.

OK, I thought, after the runby they would continue to Peninsula to get out of the way of the Scenic train, which I could hear on the radio was just about into Peninsula. But the 765 and its train stopped just after clearing the Boston Mill station. It wasn't going to go to Peninsula. I started walking toward my car. I then heard the crew say something to the effect of "let's go to Fitz."

They were not going to clear up for the Scenic at Peninsula but at the Fitzwater shops north of Brecksville. That was actually good news because it would result in a "bonus" run at steam past Brecksville and the concrete arched Ohio Route 82 bridge. I had yet to photograph the 765 there this year at ground level.

The 765 had a head start, but I managed to get to Brecksville just ahead of it. Another TO member was also there and his photo of the 765 going past Brecksville station en route to Fitzwater was posted Sunday on the Eastern Railroading board. It won IOTD for Monday.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3521800,3521800#3521800

(Photo 4): After the northbound Scenic cleared, the 765 began its ferry move back to Boston Mill. Here it is at full steam ahead coming south past Brecksville. I considered this to be bonus coverage.

(Photo 5): My original plan was to get the 765 steaming southward for the middle excursion of the day along Riverview Road. Here the train is headed northbound to Fitzwater, where it would again get off the main to allow the CVSR Scenic to pass, this time southbound toward Akron.

(Photo 6): Passing a pond on a former homestead along Riverview Road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/14 05:35 by SDP40F600.

Date: 09/16/14 05:15

After getting photographs of the 765 going north along Riverview Road, I just barely got to Brecksville as the train was approaching the station. I pulled off onto the grassy shoulder alongside the entrance road that crosses the tracks before reaching the parking lot.

(Photo 7): I walked over to the station to get this image of the 765 backing past it en route to Fitzwater shops.

(Photo 7): For the southbound run, I elected to set up shop on the south bank of Chippewa Creek. Three friends of mine were already there getting ready to photograph and make video. In the background is the Route 82 bridge spanning the Cuyahoga River Valley. The river is out of sight to my right.

(Photo 8): Crossing Chippewa Creek on a bridge that was built in 1948 but rebuilt earlier this year. You might be able to see "1948" in the concrete on the far end of the bridge beneath the tender. These bridge piers must have seen plenty of Baltimore & Ohio steam action in their early years of service.

Date: 09/16/14 05:21

After the 765 passed Brecksville, I headed for Peninsula. On the spur of the moment I decided to pull off Riverview Road beneath the Interstate 271 bridge. A number of other fans had already had the same idea and I walked down to the area beneath the interstate bridge to join them.

(Photo 10): The 765 is making its photo runby for the crowd in the distance at Boston Mill.

(Photo 11): I continued on to Peninsula about a mile away to get my final images of the day. The 765 is shown pulling the 2:30 p.m. trip and coming out of the notch in the trees on the north side of Peninsula. Note the smoke rings that it is blowing.

(Photo 12): As always, people of all ages and persuasions crowded along the tracks in Peninsula to watch the 765 come past. It is shown coming into town.

Date: 09/16/14 05:31

I've always enjoyed watching the reaction of those who come trackside to watch the 765 or any steam locomotive pass by. Because the CVSR passes through a well-patronized national park, many people who knew nothing of the 765's visit wind up seeing it and maybe riding behind it. The Sunday trips were well suited for an impromptu decision to ride the train.

For many, they are seeing a steam engine in action for the first time. It is particularly interesting to see the responses of small children. Will they remember what they saw on this day? Were they fascinated? Afraid? It might be a combination of all of these things.

(Photos 13 and 14): Both images were made during the northbound trip past Deep Lock Quarry back to Boston Mill. The train included two former Nickel Plate open window coaches. I happened to see this woman and her son leaning out the window watching the passing scenery. I had to get these images on the fly and they are little softer than I would have liked. But I liked the human interest element of a mother and her son enjoying what may be their first trip behind a steam locomotive.

(Photo 15): I had gotten the images I wanted of the 765 coming into Peninsula. I turned to watch the train go past when I noticed these two small children covering their ears. At the time, the 765 was blowing the whistle and, yes, it was loud. Mom and day help their young tykes muffle the sound. The parents were probably amused by their reaction.

Date: 09/16/14 05:40
Author: refarkas

Your shot of 765 looking north over Chippewa Creek is unique to me. You Captured an angle others including myself have missed. Beautiful!
Your second image of "woman with child" could be a dictionary image for the word "pleasure". The "slightly-out-of-focus" aspect adds to the "dreaminess" of the image. Great shot. It makes me want to ride the CVSR again.
Bob

Date: 09/16/14 08:34
Author: YG

Good variety, nice!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 09/16/14 08:43
Author: 4000Class

I gotta tell ya, it is SO NICE seeing a steamer of this caliber, in such a great setting, with NO diesels. Just magnificent!

Date: 09/16/14 08:52
Author: Frisco1522

Nice setting. Is there a second section following?

Date: 09/16/14 08:56
Author: ClubCar

Nice photos. I especially like the photo of the lady with the little boy looking out the coach window. Like the good-ole-days, thanks for posting your photos for all to enjoy.

Date: 09/16/14 12:41
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 09/17/14 14:15
Author: jmbreitigan

Very creative work with your photos. So many nice images. #8 with the rods down & #11 with the smoke rings are nice.
John

Date: 09/17/14 22:28
Author: kurt765

Great shots! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1535 seconds