Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Steam & Excursion > Between Christmas/New Year's - and in January?

Date: 09/30/14 10:46
Between Christmas/New Year's - and in January?
Author: bigjim4life

I know Strasburg, among a few select places, runs trains during the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. Do any other tourist operations in the US run trains in that timeframe between the two holidays? Or is it virtually a dead week? Same for January, do any tourist lines in the lower 48 states run trains (minus the first weekend or so) in January? Or is it a tourist railroad dead period?

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 21:02 by bigjim4life.

Date: 09/30/14 12:15
Re: Between Christmas/New Year's - and in January?
Author: Hartington

Slightly tongue in cheek:

http://westsomersetrailway.vticket.co.uk/calendar.php
http://www.nymr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Post-Whitby-Completion-Timetables-A4.pdf
http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/VisitShildon And somewhere on the same website the main museum at York.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 12:20 by Hartington.

Date: 09/30/14 17:04
Author: andersonb109

Why tongue and cheek? The poster asked and didn't put any restrictions on what continent the lines were running. Many other U.K. lines have steam running in Winter although more limited than in other seasons. It takes 5 hours to fly from coast to coast. It only takes about 7 to fly to the U.K. from the east or Midwest. And once you are there, it's totally worth it with much more authentic experiences than most lines here provide. Further, it's Summer in Australia and New Zealand so I would think the tourist lines would be in full force then.

Date: 09/30/14 17:08
Author: steamfan759

Jim - Just up the road from you, the New Hope & Ivyland runs trains that week. They are normally the Return to the North Pole trains. My son used to work some of those trains when he was still in college. It was always a challenge to spot the car in a four foot area by the steps so that Mr. and Mrs. Claus could get back on the train. Those trains in the past were normally steam powered. That may change as they have been using steam less frequently. I always enjoyed riding with him when there was snow on the ground and everything was decorated for Christmas - (Not the holidays).

Date: 09/30/14 21:01

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why tongue and cheek? The poster asked and didn't
> put any restrictions on what continent the lines
> were running.

There you have me...correct, I didn't put any restrictions. Let me update the original...

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA

Date: 10/01/14 10:23
Author: Tominde

Wilmington and Western Christmas lights special.

Date: 10/03/14 12:46
Author: hot_tub

Conway Scenic has always hosted the "Steam in the Snow" photo trip in early January (a Massachusetts Bay RRE event). Not sure about 7470's status for this coming year though...

Date: 12/29/15 10:04

Normally I hate bringing old threads back from the dead, but here we go.  Are there any tourist operations in the Northeast US that will be running trains in January/February this year?  I know about the following:
  • February - President's Day Weekend - Strasburg
  • February - Hockessin Art Festival Trips - Wilmington & Western
  • January - Conway Scenic Photo Special - Conway Scenic RR
Are there any other roads/lines running any weekends in January/February up here?

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA

Date: 12/29/15 12:23
Author: LJGross

Durango & Silverton is operating the Cascade Turn plus three Polar Express trips each day.

Date: 12/30/15 09:21

bigjim4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Are there any tourist
> operations in the Northeast US that will be
> running trains in January/February this year?

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds