Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Steam & Excursion > Letter from new NRHS President Al Weber

Date: 10/25/14 18:07
Letter from new NRHS President Al Weber
Author: Mudrock

NRHS Members:

First, I want to thank all our board members leaving the board. Greg Molloy (President/District 6), Patrick Molloy (District 5), Claude Doane (District 7) and Robert Neman (District B). All have worked tirelessly for the good of the NRHS over many many years. I say "Thank You" on behalf of all members of the NRHS.

Our new 2015/2016 board will be seated at the Fall Conference held this year in Johnson City, TN, on November 15, 2014. As always, please give them your comments, ideas and support. Along with the Advisory Council, they are your way of getting your input into the organization.

The New Business Model that was presented at the special board meeting in September was defeated. It has many items that your board will consider implementing over the next several years. We appreciate the New Business Model committee for their time and effort in putting this plan together, even though it did not pass, many gains for the society will come from it.

The 2015 NRHS Convention in Rutland, VT, is up and running. The events will provide an excellent view and experiences of the railroad rich area between Burlington to Rutland to North Walpole to North Creek. We will be riding on many different historical railroads and visiting very interesting sites. Hotel space is also starting to be reserved. Info on the hotel package is also on the NRHS.com web site. You can order your tickets now on our web site >http://www.nrhs.com/2015_Convention Please do so as some of the events and trips are selling fast and I would not want you to miss out.

The NRHS NEWS will be coming out in the future as an electronic document like the NRHS TELEGRAPH is now. This will allow more content and much more current content. The next issue is to be released soon.

Your officers are discussing whether to continue publishing the Bulletin. After reviewing the financial situation, the board will decide how many issues will be produced annually and how it will be delivered to members. We also want to bring back the Annual Activities issue but on the WEB so it can be accessed at anytime and updated quickly.

We need volunteers for RailCamp! This is one of the NRHS key programs and has been very successful over the years. The time spent is very rewarding and advances our commitment to education of railroads and rail history to young students. I have been involved for the last few years on the committee. We have members that are doing the administrative tasks and will continue but we need new volunteers to help as camp counselors and other tasks. Please consider this opportunity to assist the society by volunteering and making a difference in a young person's life.

We are also need volunteers for the Historic Grants committee. I have had a few volunteer so far but we need a few more. This work is again one of the key parts of the NRHS. Volunteers on the committee review the applications and make the grants. What could be a better job than doing that for railway history preservation.

Al Weber2015/2016 NRHS President

Date: 10/26/14 06:54
Re: Letter from new NRHS President Al Weber
Author: chico

This memo Says nothing about the continued viability of the organization nor does it address the glaring fiscal crisis.

Nothing new here in my O.

Convention and rail camp. I guess that is the purpose of the NRHS.

And, what does railcamp have to do with RR history and preservation? Seems like the industry (AAR?) should promote rail careers.

New day, same old same old.

My .02.

Former NRHS Chptr. President and member,
Chico

Date: 10/26/14 09:07
Author: HotWater

What does this have to due with "Steam Railroading"?

Date: 10/26/14 12:33
Author: Keystone1

Curious...WHY do these people have to travel to Johnson City, Tenn. to install a "new board"? Can't this be done by telephone, conference all or even U.S. Mail? Wouldn't that save a lot of transportation costs, room reservations and salad dressing? Or, is this really all about living large...like the U.S. Government? Just curious...since this is a hobby, not a business.

Date: 10/26/14 13:03
Author: Mudrock

Look at the title of this board Steam and Excursion

Chris

Date: 10/26/14 13:34
Author: Frisco1522

I guess its a question of semantics................

Date: 10/26/14 14:25
Author: HotWater

Mudrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look at the title of this board Steam and
> Excursion
>
>
> Chris

Look under the main title heading, on the left side. Under the big bold word "Discussion", there are 13 separate "discussion tittles" listed, and the fifth one down is "Steam Railroading"!

Date: 10/26/14 14:34
Author: SCAX3401

Mudrock Wrote:
> The New Business Model that was presented at the
> special board meeting in September was defeated.
> It has many items that your board will consider
> implementing over the next several years.

This should read "Sure we will consider it but not adopt it." or "Over my dead body". I just love when organizations (private, public or non-profit) ask a group of people to deeply explore an issue and come up with solutions just throw there work in the trash because it wasn't what they wanted to hear. If I was a member of that group that worked on the new business plan, the new president and board would ear a few choice words from me that I can't print on this forum. What a incredible waste of people's time.

Date: 10/26/14 15:32
Author: Keystone1

OK- Now here's one for you. I have photographed steam locomotives in some 60 or 70 countries on 5 continents. I took my first train picture in 1955 at 12 years of age. I have written some 6 or 7 railroad books. Held a column on the masthead of a national railroad magazine. Made railroad sound recordings. Once owned 30% of a Class I, mainline passenger locomotive. Am I a railfan? I think so...yet I am not now, nor never have been a member of the NRHS. I wonder why???

Date: 10/26/14 15:52
Author: rev66vette

Keystone1 Wrote:
> OK- Now here's one for you. I have photographed
> steam locomotives in some 60 or 70 countries on 5
> continents. I took my first train picture in 1955
> at 12 years of age. I have written some 6 or 7
> railroad books. Held a column on the masthead of a
> national railroad magazine. Made railroad sound
> recordings. Once owned 30% of a Class I, mainline
> passenger locomotive. Am I a railfan? I think
> so...yet I am not now, nor never have been a
> member of the NRHS. I wonder why???

Here's one back at you..I'm a nondescript guy...worked my butt off for 18 years in restoration work, 12 as President of a 300 member group, never was on a masthead of a national rail magazine, or had a by-line in one, only been to two continents and have been a member of the NRHS, and 12 other RR groups that I contribute to in both monetary compensation and association. Am I a railfan? I wonder why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/14 15:53 by rev66vette.

Date: 10/26/14 19:51
Author: NKP779

Best wishes to the NRHS- truly. I don't know what all is going on within the organization but it is obvious that the NRHS business model is facing a new world and changing demographics and a leaner, harder nosed common carrier rail industry. It is much tougher for all of us who try to preserve and/or operate traditional steam and diesel and passenger trains in any form or any venue.

Date: 10/27/14 03:42
Author: bobwilcox

Its gone with the Super Chief and Espee. Just let it go.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0793 seconds