Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Steam & Excursion > The day I got to meet Doyle McCormack

Date: 11/26/14 01:14
The day I got to meet Doyle McCormack
Author: alco636

Canadian Pacific 2816 was visiting Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota. The locomotive was hot and ready. Today she'll be pulling a Milwaukee Road Historical Association excursion. Twin Cities to La Crescent and return IIRC. While shooting a few images of the beautiful 2816, I got to meet Mr. Doyle McCormack himself. Quite a thrill for me. June 19th, 2004.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 11/26/14 06:18
Re: The day I got to meet Doyle McCormack
Author: OKTrainboys

Thanks for posting that fun picture of Doyle and CP2816. What is not to love about both of those subjects? I was a bit surprised during a conversation with Doyle in Tacoma in about 2010 that he was making light of how "that engine (2816) doesn't like me" referring to some relatively minor issues he has experienced while at the throttle of the locomotive....always such a great sense of humor with Doyle.......anyway, of course it is worth noting what a fantastic job folks like Doyle, ORHF, Al Broadfoot and many others did in bringing CP 2816 back from the dead nearly 15 years ago now. What a thrill it would be to see Justin Tracy and crew once again taking care of and touring this stunning Hudson over the CP once more.....I think if I had to pick my all time favorite preservation era locomotive, it would be CP 2816 and the great folks associated with her. Fitz was right, right out of the gate when he said "it's tough to beat a beautiful Hudson". There is, on DVD, a very fine and lengthy presentation on the tear down, rebuilding and subsequent break in runs of CP2816 after she was pulled out of Steamtown nearly 15 years ago. It is most inspirational and is an excellent example of how anything is possible in regards to restoration of steam with the right talent in the right places from dead, rusted and sad, to alive, gleaming and joyful. Any preservation steam enthusiast owes it to themselves to see this DVD.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/14 07:25 by OKTrainboys.

Date: 11/26/14 06:53
Author: fqo63

"that engine (2816) doesn't like me"

Sure would like to hear that story.

Date: 11/26/14 07:04
Author: YG

I hope someday we might see 2816 in steam again. She's a beauty.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 11/26/14 08:18
Author: PERichardson

YG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope someday we might see 2816 in steam again.
> She's a beauty.
>
> Steve Mitchell
> http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Not with HH running the CPR.

Date: 11/26/14 09:00
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for posting. I got to meet Doyle when the 4449 was in Owosso. He is a really great soul and down to earth enough to converse with us underlings, much more so than some of the crew I worked with on the 765 back in the late 70s (that was a good old boy's club).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/14 10:32 by wabash2800.

Date: 11/26/14 09:05
Author: Frisco1522

Doyle is one of the "Good Guys" and was a lot of help to me in my role as CMO of the 1522 as was Steve Lee. I wish Portland wasn't so far from St. Louis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/14 09:06 by Frisco1522.

Date: 11/26/14 14:14
Author: Finderskeepers

I know he said that the 2816 rides "like a baby buggy", obviously not a punishing riding engine.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/26/14 16:11
Author: HotWater

I was witness to one 2816 event with Doyle at the throttle. Although, I can not remember the year, 2816 was operating into Windsor, ON, so a couple of us drove up to chase it coming into town, and then spent the night and had dinner with the guys. The next morning, the weather had turned to cool and drizzle rain, so we drove to the yard to witness the departure, prior to driving back home. While waiting for the yard to "get their act together", we went and waited in the cab of 2816 in order to stay out of the drizzle. Finally, they were ready to depart, so we walked back over to my car, and one or two of our "team" tried to take photos. As the 2816 whistled off, and Doyle slowly proceeded forward, I just walked along side in the drizzle, when I heard the loud CRACK, from under the engine! I began yelling as loud as I could to Fireman Al Broadfoot to, "STOP, STOP, STOP!!!!" all the while giving him a wash-out sign. Although Al didn't seem to either hear me, or understand what was happening, at least McCormack on the other side of the cab, DID hear me and stopped. But,,,,, it was too lat, as the rail had broken and rolled over under 2816, and she was now "in the dirt"!

In spite of the constant drizzle, we stayed a around awhile so that I could talk to the CPR management folks, and provide my input as to what had happened. Naturally Doyle was in his, "That engine hates me!" mode, but after the MOW folks showed up, it became obvious to the "track experts" that the 2816 really had NOT caused the derailment. We all finally got fed up with the weather, and piled into my car and drove back home, after bidding Doyle farewell.

Date: 11/26/14 17:34
Author: 4489

During 2816's epic Vancouver to Montreal trip an unscheduled run past was executed at the west end of the Island of Montreal. I was chasing the train and hoping to beat the train to Montreal West when the magic words came over the scanner. Quickly changing directions I arrived track side as the run past was about to commence. Standing not more than 20 feet from me was a gentleman who I though that I recognized. Yes indeed it was Doyle. Quite a thrill for me to be able to say hello and shake his hand!

Date: 11/26/14 18:38
Author: fqo63

Thank you, Jack...interesting story.
Happy Thanksgiving... Tad

Date: 11/26/14 18:58
Author: switchlamp

I met Doyle when I was going through SP locomotive simulator traing in Cerritos , Ca back in late 78 or early 79. I was in class and we took a break and met him in the break room. He was recenly hired by SP after leaving N & W. I did not know he was the 4449 engineer at the time. It was brief but what a neat confident and humble person he is. I doubt he remembers me now after all the people he has met in his life but I am sure people feel as I do after meeting him.
Tom

Date: 11/26/14 19:21
Author: NKP779

So where is the 2816 today?

Date: 11/26/14 19:24

NKP779 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So where is the 2816 today?

Stuffed in the shop at Calgary?

Date: 11/27/14 01:27
Author: alco636

Thanks everyone for sharing. Good reading. Wherever you are Mr. McCormack, thank you for all you've done.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 11/27/14 07:58
Author: redberan4449

Here is one of my favorite photos of Doyle and HotWater. From July 2009 in Franklin Park, Illinois.

Date: 11/27/14 08:06

Thanks Ron, that sure was a great trip from Portland to Michigan and back.

Date: 11/27/14 11:06
Author: weather

I have three more recent shots of Doyle and his better half, Laurie. First is two years ago on the Bend Trip with the #4449 and three years go for the 35th anniversary of the American Freedom Train crew reunion. As part of the festivities, I arranged a ride on the Niles Canyon Railway for the Attendees Here is Doyle and Laurie enjoying a ride through the Canyon. Doyle in his office at the Doyle McCormack engine House at the Oregon Heritage Railroad Foundation in Portland. I have known Doyle and Laurie since 1974. Mike Pechner Photos.

Date: 11/27/14 11:28
Author: Frisco1522

Those are great pictures of Doyle and his daughter. Looking at him and Jack, nothing is safe when these two are together.

Date: 11/27/14 13:49
Author: nycman

Another in the engine house, on the day of the grand opening and unvailing of the "Doyle McCormack Engine House" sign. Doyle running his favorite steed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0789 seconds