Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Steam & Excursion > Black Hills Central 110 - Shades of Cab Forward?

Date: 12/13/14 07:39
Black Hills Central 110 - Shades of Cab Forward?
Author: MaryMcPherson

Several weeks ago I uploaded video of Black Hills Central 2-6-6-2T #110. That video consisted entirely of shots of #110 running forward. The Black Hills Central is an out and back operation with run-around tracks at either end, so the locomotive runs tank first half the time. Call me crazy if you will, but with the engine running tank first it isn't hard for me to envision a similarity to the Cab Forwards of the Southern Pacific.

These shots were made over the course of three days as the train made its return trek from Keystone to Hill City. The return leg of the trip has more prolonged uphill running than the outbound leg, which features two relatively short but steep grades. Also, the Old Hill City / Keystone Road parallels the tracks for a fair distance on the Keystone end of the line, and for a short distance near Palmer Gulch.

Granted this isn't an Espee AC Class 4-8-8-2 climbing Donner Pass, but perhaps these scenes are shades of the Cab Forward.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/13/14 07:47
Re: Black Hills Central 110 - Shades of Cab Forward?
Author: LoggerHogger

You have another great video there. Nice Work.

Martin

Date: 12/13/14 09:17
Author: Tominde

Wow you have a magnificent sense of video. Great shots, sound and editing. Your pacing is superb. You would think "backwards pacing wouldn't offer much, but not in this case. Thanks for sharing this here.

Date: 12/13/14 12:21
Author: UP3806

You are right. Probably the closest thing to a cab-forward running any of us will ever see. Think I would definitely like to go there this coming summer and see for myself.

Tom

Date: 12/13/14 19:50
Author: patd3985

Wow Mary! You NEVER cease to amaze us with your excellent videos! Thanx Again!!!.........Pat

Date: 12/13/14 20:16
Author: nycman

Mary, you have a gift, a talent for making these videos. Thank you for another Winner. That locomotive also seems to have a gift for getting both sets of drivers in synch, as shown in a few of your clips.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds