Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sumpter Valley Railroad Christmas Train Today

Date: 12/13/14 16:56
Sumpter Valley Railroad Christmas Train Today
Author: Milepost_130

Sumpter Valley Railroad today operated a series of excursions between McEwen and Sumpter, Oregon. Power for today's trains was Sumpter Valley Railroad 19, 2-8-2 (ALCO Schenectady 61981 / 1920), 3-foot gauge.

Although a major winter storm had just passed-through the area, and temperatures were just below freezing, snow accumulations were limited to higher elevations.

Trains operated out of McEwen at 10:00 AM, 1:15 PM and 4:30 PM. Although the 10:00 AM departure featured mostly overcast skies, the sun was out for the 1:15 PM departure from McEwen featured mostly sunny skies. The attached image of the 1:15 PM departure from McEwen was recorded just west of Hawley siding, near milepost 24.5.

Sumpter Valley Railroad: http://www.sumptervalleyrailroad.org/

Date: 12/13/14 17:04
Re: Sumpter Valley Railroad Christmas Train Today
Author: LoggerHogger

Nice shot Tom... But doesn't this look more like Christmas on the Sumpter Valley???

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/14 17:07 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/13/14 18:09
Christmas on Sumpter Valley Railroad
Author: Milepost_130

Regarding your images from February, 2014, I agree! They are impressive.

Last February, I missed the classic shot of Sumpter Valley 19 as she approached Hawley siding. Jake got it, though (see attached). In my case, I had a 28 - 70 zoom on my primary camera. By the time I reached the second body, with the 70 - 200 zoom attached, the scene had passed.

This trip was as much a chance to catch-up with Nils and Renate as it was a desire to see Sumpter Valley steam in the snow again.

Date: 12/13/14 20:22
Re: Christmas on Sumpter Valley Railroad
Author: nycman

Thomas and Martin, thanks for those shots. Sumpter Valley is a treasure, and some of the best shots I ever got were on a Martin photo special, under the direction (for that photo) of Nils. Have a great holiday season.

Date: 12/14/14 04:29
Author: LoggerHogger

Jim,

I don't know if this the shot you were referring to, but Nils helped us come up with this shot. All I had to do is get the crews to get ous ut to Hawley Spur with Heisler #3 BEFORE sun up so we could get this.

Martin

Date: 12/14/14 14:12
Author: nycman

That's the one!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds