Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Steam & Excursion > E.K. Muller: More small-time water columns

Date: 01/10/15 02:24
E.K. Muller: More small-time water columns
Author: Evan_Werkema

A post over on the Nostalgia board by valmont got me to digging around in the Western Railway Museum Archives looking for more photos of small-diameter, rigid standpipes for putting water in locomotive tenders.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3626740

These aren't the elegant, drooping, articulated columns that graced the main line, but columns that almost look home-made from pipe and excess fittings lying around the backshops, with 90-degree bends and an old sock to direct the water into the tender. I posted a few pictures of the SP column at Mulford, CA yesterday:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3627234

and then came across a few more I thought I'd share here:

1. E.K. Muller caught the SP column at Friant, CA in use in 1956 as one of SP's once-ubiquitous Moguls stares down the Friant Dam in the distance.
2. Later the same year, Muller caught Howard Terminal 6 tanking up at their standpipe in Oakland as its Whitcomb replacement looks on from the enginehouse.
3. An unknown photographer took this image of the Howard Terminal standpipe from the opposite side of the tracks with the locomotives in opposite positions.

Date: 01/10/15 03:28
Re: E.K. Muller: More small-time water columns
Author: LoggerHogger

Here is the simple stand pipe that the Sierra used in Tuolumne. This stand pipe was shared by the Sierra with the switch crews of the West Side Lumber Co.

Wil Whitakker took the first photo and Jim Wren took the second.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/15 03:33 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 01/10/15 09:53
Author: baldwin1922

That is a really good shot of the 18. I have never seen that picture before.
Jason

Date: 01/10/15 10:11
Author: LoggerHogger

The shot of Sierra #18 was taken on October 22, 1950 on a doubleheader excursion with #3 and #18.

Martin

Date: 01/11/15 20:04
Author: spicolli1864

Thank you for the great pictures....I especially enjoyed the Friant water spout...I live in Clovis. The Clovis/Friant branch remains are about 200 yards away form my current residence...

I thought I would add two photos of Sierra 24 at the Tuolumne spout from my fathers collection
And Im thanking Martin in advance for adding a another shot of West side #3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1563 seconds