Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Steam & Excursion > Robert Hanft: Clover Valley Lumber locations?

Date: 01/16/15 02:42
Robert Hanft: Clover Valley Lumber locations?
Author: Evan_Werkema

These are some Robert Hanft slides from the Western Railway Museum archives showing Clover Valley Lumber 2-6-6-2T #4 moving logs south somewhere north of the WP crossing at Hawley, CA (east of Portola, north of Loyalton). I think the first one is Crocker Tank, but can anyone pinpoint where the others were taken?

Date: 01/16/15 02:44
Re: Robert Hanft: Clover Valley Lumber locations?
Author: Evan_Werkema

These are not guaranteed to be in order. Is there a good publication on the history and route of the Clover Valley?

Date: 01/16/15 02:54
Author: LoggerHogger

The first one is definitely Crocker Tank. The 3rd shot shows the road crossing as Charcoal from the sign on the cross-buck.

Here is CVL #4 all cleaned up for her one and only fan trip in May 1950. Guy L. Dunscomb took the photo.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/15 11:28 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 01/16/15 06:25
Author: YG

Truly amazing images!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 01/16/15 09:24
Author: zephyrus

What awesome images! Some of the best I've seen of the Clover Valley north of Hawley.

I recognize the area of the 4th photo, I think. The road you can just see in the background should be Beckworth - Genesee Road. But I don't know the name or milepost of the location.

I have not found any good books on the CVL. Myrick's RRs of California and Nevada has some info and there was a small book by J. M. Olsen about the CVL logging camps put out in 2007.

Z

Date: 01/16/15 10:46
Author: mcfflyer

Oh my gosh, this is fabulous! I've driven up there several times, and I've seen the old r-o-w with rotting remnants of ties, but these are just terrific! Thanks for sharing!

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 01/16/15 11:18
Author: callum_out

Amazing pictures, by the time the line crossed Highway 70 there almost wasn't a tree in sight
and you would have done a double take at the log train. The line for operating so late and being
so close to a fairly large population doesn't have that much photo coverage.

Out

Date: 01/16/15 11:34
Author: Harlock

Those are really great slides. Feel free to post anything else you need identified in the future, fair trade for allowing us to ogle them :) The one with the long snaking log train from above is especially great.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 01/16/15 20:22
Author: 567Chant

I can't begin to imagine the stack talk.
...Lorenzo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds