Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Steam & Excursion > Where is it - 614T ?

Date: 01/26/15 04:23
Where is it - 614T ?
Author: Labby

This could be a "Where is it?" in more ways than one! So tell me where is this located and where is the 614T?

Thirty years ago, on this day, 614T made the last run of the ACE 3000 trials. The next day, Sunday, January 27, 1985 it pulled the Amtrak train out of town.

Anyone else remember this?

Do you think someone in the paint house was hopping mad?

Date: 01/26/15 07:00
Re: Where is it - 614T ?
Author: randyscholl

Tim,

I believe Huntington WV?

Yes that whole month of runs was spectacular!

Date: 01/26/15 07:20
Author: Keystone1

Yes, it was fantastic! I got away from work for two days....it should have been for a whole week.

Date: 01/26/15 07:39
Author: co614

The old painting building was our "home" for the days/nights we were in Huntington as it was the only then empty space which had vents to allow the 614 to stay live while inside. Turned out we picked a month with record cold ( some nights went down to wind chills of minus 35 or lower) and one morning the roll-up door on that building had frozen shut from the condensation caused by the live steam engine and we had to cut it open with torches to get out!!

On one of the eastbound runs ( Mon.,Wed.,Fri.) we were the only train to get over the division between Huntington and Hinton on account all the diesels failed because their diesel fuel jelled up in the extreme cold.

Great memories !! Ross Rowland

Date: 01/26/15 07:44

Thank you Ross! I was hoping you would tell us the story about the "New Engine House".

When people see this picture they usually laugh!

Great memories, indeed!

Thanks again.

Date: 01/26/15 07:48

Hi Randy,

Yes, it is Huntington. It was amazing to watch the 614T in action and it was a real "hoot" to see it enter the paint house as each roof vent would in turn emit steam.

BTW, I shot it in 16mm.

Labby

Date: 01/26/15 09:40
Author: randyscholl

Tim,
Lucky you with the 16mm. Greg captured it with sound video. Great tape...
I remember that frozen door day that Ross mentioned. I was lucky
to live close enough to get up in the wee hours of the morning and drive
in for the day. You didn't get many shots per day especially since Ross ran fast & it was
in the New River but what you saw was amazing. Those coal trains in the winter cold
were some of the very best steam ops since the end of real steam in America!
Few fans, no diesel, no funky paint color, not umpteen water bottles, or high viz vests & friendly WV cops with pre 911 mentality
Its funny but you don't realize you are living the "good ole days" sometimes when you do something.
RS

Date: 01/26/15 14:30
Author: Keystone1

Hey Tim & Randy...I've shot everything in 16mm since 1961, including today. I've got 34 fresh rolls, frozen like a brick, waiting for the Big Boy, C&O 1309, Santa Fe 2926, B&M 3713, Maine Central 470 and a couple of other "new" engines for me at least. (1958-1960 was all shot in regular 8mm).

Date: 01/26/15 14:31
Author: Appalachianrails

Looks like the old paint building at the locomotive shops. The building doesn't exist anymore. Hard to believe I pass by it every day.

It's below freezing in Huntington today. I imagine it was like this every day 30 years ago during the 614T runs.

Date: 01/26/15 18:40
Author: apollo17

The 614 was featured in an article on the front page of the newspaper here where I live in Columbus, GA. on January 3, 1985. I was 14 at the time and cut out the article and still have it. I've tried to scan and upload it here on T.O., but apparently I'm not doing something right. If anyone wants to send me a PM, with any help, I'd appreciate it. I think you guys including Mr. Rowland would like to see it and read it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds