Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Steam & Excursion > C&NW 1385 in its element. Wauwatosa, WI 1983

Date: 04/16/15 23:59
C&NW 1385 in its element. Wauwatosa, WI 1983
Author: jkkeck

I think this was the 1983 version of the Northwestern's Prosperity Special.  The food warehouses behind me that once generated so much traffic for the C&NW are giving way to upper end outlet stores and It was recently reported to me that the K-Mart barely visible behind the locomotive and its tenders will also be closing soon.

This specific location on the C&NW's freight belt line around Milwaukee has seen many changes over the past 100 years. This locomotive may have even been witness to the landmark 1919 flight of Alfred Lawson's 16 seat C-2 "Airliner" (some called the plane a streetcar with wings) that occurred at the adjacent Milwaukee Municipal Airport (now Currie Park) visible in the background of the photo, just ahead of 1385's headlight.

Because these tracks and the Menomonee River constrained the airfield's ability to expand a decision was made in 1926 to move Milwaukee's airport to what eventually became Mitchell Field.

Date: 04/17/15 15:49
Re: C&NW 1385 in its element. Wauwatosa, WI 1983
Author: MilwMike

I remember the CNW and the 1385 back in the 80's, they had the Prosperity Special, and then Butler Days with the 1385 and F units pulling trips and a bunch of equipment on display.

Would be nice to see the 1385 back on the mainline.

MilwMike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds