Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Steam & Excursion > Long Before She Became Famous She Toiled Away In Obscurity!

Date: 04/20/15 03:11
Long Before She Became Famous She Toiled Away In Obscurity!
Author: LoggerHogger

There are certain steam locomotives that became famous not during  their years of service but only later when they were placed on display.  Here is one such engine.

Almost no railfans ever visited the woods where Stimson Timber's Shay #1 worked for years.  Photos of this engine either at work or even at rest in camp are few and far between.  This is surprising given the fact that #1 worked only a few miles West of Portland, Oregon in the woods above Gaston, Oregon.  For some reason, this operation and #1 were simply "under the radar" and hardly noticed by railfan photographers.  The exception was R. W. Biermann who sought her out in 1949 and took some great photos of this engine at work including the one I have attached.

So how did this engine become famous you ask?  Well, when the Stimson Timber operation shut down in the mid-1950's the rest of the steam fleet was cut up along with the rest of the Stimson railroad, but #1 was set aside and saved from scrapping.  Stimson had been approached by the Forestry Center representatives from Portland who were looking for a steam logging locomotive to place on display.  It was felt that the relatively small Shay #1 would fit the bill and she was soon cleaned and painted for the donation.  This started her years of fame.

Shay #1 became a quite popular attraction in Portland during her years along side the forestry center.  Unfortunately, that huge log building burned in 1964 and Stimson #1 was slightly damaged in the fire.  When a new forestry center was built up by the Portland Zoo, #1 was refurbished and again placed on display at that new location where she still resides today to the delight of the thousands of visitors to the Zoo and the new Forestry Center.

Shay #1's days of anonymity are definitely over!

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/15 03:25 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/20/15 08:06
Re: Long Before She Became Famous She Toiled Away In Obscurity!
Author: asheldrake

after years of "storage" in the back of the forestry center, a new display area was built and it resides out front of the building with a ADA accessible cab.   another neat feature I think is that she is pulling a load of logs on disconnect trucks.  

Date: 04/20/15 11:49
Author: EMDSW-1

I believe they named her "Peggy" and for awhile she resided with the rest of the late 50's collection by Oaks Park before moving to her permanent location.

Dick Samuels

Date: 04/20/15 12:13

Here is "Peggy" being removed from Oaks Park.

Martin

Date: 04/20/15 12:47
Author: spicolli1864

Wow, thank you Martin,I find the two fine loco's in the background very nice..I wonder where they are now??..(joke)

Date: 04/20/15 13:12
Author: TCnR

Interesting photo, but that lift doesn't look too good for the driveshaft on that front truck.

Date: 04/20/15 18:39
Author: ChrisCampi

The gentleman in the cab looks like he's pulled the throttle once or twice in his lifetime.  Is that a canteen hanging alongside the cab below him?

Chris

Date: 04/20/15 18:54
Author: EMDSW-1

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is "Peggy" being removed from Oaks Park.
>
> Martin

Very cool...I was there and have a similar shot at a slightly different angle. Man...have things changed in this area since then!

Martin; could this be a photo by the late Jack Holst who was also there that day if I remember right?

Dick Samuels

Date: 04/21/15 03:50

Here is what Stimson #1 looks like today on her display.

Martin

Date: 04/21/15 07:50
Author: HeislerPower

Heard a rumor not all that long ago that there is a bit of a movement to get her off display and back in service. I guess she looks a bit rougher than she actually is.

Taylor

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/21/15 13:37
Author: wingomann

Why the big baloon stack when on display?  I thought it was kind of oversize when I saw it in person.  The hinged spark arrestor in the in-service picture would be more interesting.

Also note the change in the shape of the engineer's window.  They added an arch when the windows were removed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/15 13:43 by wingomann.

Date: 04/23/15 15:47
Author: p51

Wow, i had no idea she was ever on display at Oaks Park!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds