Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Steam & Excursion > A few more SP 2472 from Memorial Day weekend, 5/23

Date: 05/29/15 18:23
A few more SP 2472 from Memorial Day weekend, 5/23
Author: PasadenaSub

Last weekend my girlfriend and I flew to San Jose for a weekend of general sightseeing plus visiting her family in San Mateo.  I decided to get tickets on the Saturday 1pm running of the SP2472 from Sunol to Niles and return on the Niles Canyon Railway.  We left the San Jose airport at noon figuring an hour would be enough time to get to Sunol and board - but I grossly underestimated the intensity of the holiday weekend traffic on I-680 trying to get up the hill from Fremont to Sunol.  We missed the train by about 10 minutes, but decided to make lemons into lemonade and chased it to Niles.

1-2) Heading west, the train was pulled by SP FM 1487 - just passing the Brightside yard.

3) And going backwards facing east was the 2472.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/15 18:33 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 05/29/15 18:28
Re: A few more SP 2472 from Memorial Day weekend, 5/23

4) Another just west of Brightside, with a happy fan getting his picture.  He was there first, so I worked him into the shot.

5) The only other shot to get without much setup was the bridge over Niles Canyon Road (Farwell?). 

6) And another at the bridge.  Just after this, the gentleman in the shorts crossed in front of the tracks as the photographer in Pic 5 was still filming, getting some jeers and boos from the fans around me.  He shouted back - 'That's what you get for shooting from the wrong side of the tracks'.  Wow.

Date: 05/29/15 18:32

7) After the train arrived at Niles, the diesel cut off and headed east running light-engine.

8) With no unloading or loading of passengers at Niles, it was a relatively quick turnaround.  With the horrific eastbound traffic on Niles Canyon Road, we decided to just head for our second destination of the day - a tour of Mission San Jose in Fremont.

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Date: 05/29/15 20:30
Author: GRNDMND

Too bad you missed the ride Rich, but the photos turned out great. I was going to add some "barbs" about the so called gentleman you were referring to, but it would be a useless gesture calling him out for the ignorance he displayed. 

KC - Forrest Gump said it best though...

Date: 05/30/15 00:12
Author: weather

Outstanding images!

Date: 05/30/15 06:03
Author: TheNavigator

Nice shots, Rich, in spite of the boorish behavior of that particular person.  Thanks for posting.
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/15 21:48 by TheNavigator.

Date: 05/30/15 07:52
Author: tc

Nice Shots Rich I hate to see you waste a ride but nice to have you up there taking pics

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds