Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Steam & Excursion > HICO Trips

Date: 07/23/15 15:00
HICO Trips
Author: wcamp1472

For the old heads....
( Re: BEST trip with steam?.....)

Anybody got a list of every High Iron Co. Trips, with engine numbers,dates, destinations, etc.  from 1966 to 1975?
How about a chronological list of trips with RER's, C&O 614?

I'm trying to pick which steam trip was my most memorable.... GSCL (to Salt Lake City & ret)? , Firing while storming around Horseshoe?, CNJ Doibleheaded Steam in the Snow (w/ SRR #90 & CP 1278)?  2-WM NKP 759 freight trips? Plainfield, MD/PA Helper?  
Up,  (standing-start) out of Scranton, Nay Aug tunnel & steep grade
w/ RDG 2102 --- 23 cars & wide-open booster?  

70-per coming back from Cape May ( to Camden) CP 1278 & 17 P-70 coaches?  Grand Central to Niagara Falls, & ret ( with Bob Claytor in the cab), screaming across the Mohawk Valley?  BR&W #60 by car-float to Long Island, & Montauk & Ret?
 [ "fired" on most of them---! ]

As a kid, getting PRR K4 & CNJ Camelback rides on the NY&LB?
"Honorary Steam"---D&H Alco PAs--- on the very FIRST  (sold- out)  New River Gorge Trips, with C&O Expert,
Ed Hall as engineer, 1971?

And, latest, overnighter to Bend, Ore. (2012?)  in cab of 4449, ---- Doyle, Jack and Billy Stetler --- probably the MOST enjoyable. Beautiful country, wonderful people, The Finest Loco, and dear friends...

Help me pick a couple...

Wes C.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/15 16:40 by wcamp1472.

Date: 07/23/15 18:26
Re: HICO Trips
Author: RBMN-ENGR

Have you ever considered doing a book of your experiences on steam? I think you and some of the other "old heads" on here really should. I'll bet you guys have some really great stories to tell. And it would be a real shame for all those great memories to be lost forever. Sign me up for the first copy!

Chris Bost
Leesport, PA

Date: 07/23/15 19:30
Author: mdogg

RBMN-ENGR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you ever considered doing a book of your
> experiences on steam? I think you and some of the
> other "old heads" on here really should. I'll bet
> you guys have some really great stories to tell.
> And it would be a real shame for all those great
> memories to be lost forever. Sign me up for the
> first copy!

Agree, sign me up too!

Date: 07/23/15 21:34
Author: BDrotarIII

I'd be more than happy to buy the third!

Date: 07/24/15 03:22
Author: TrackGuy

I'll take the 4th and maybe the 5th, too! Enjoyed our chat a month or so ago about 2100. Will call you again soon!

TrackGuy

Posted from Android

Date: 07/24/15 04:43
Author: co614

Hi wes, Hard to pick a "best" out of all the varied experiences we've been blessed to have. Just remember our mutual promise to not publish until all the guilty have either retired or gone to the great roundhouse up above ( or in a few cases down below !! ) as we don't want the innocent to be hurt. !!!

With admitted bias I'd have to vote for the miles behind the throttle(s) of the AFT steamers or the 1996-98 Hoboken-Pt.Jervis 614 trips which were the first ( and so far the last) time a serious steam lover could buy an open window seat, no diesels in the consist, track speed on a scheduled passenger railroad and multiple "real" photo runbys. Doesn't get any better than that and as you witnessed the 614 performed as she was built to do.

Great memories. Thanks for all your help and support over the many years. Ross Rowland

Date: 07/24/15 13:08
Author: wcamp1472

RR,

What made those things possible was your determination, the professionals that made up those various teams, and the credibility in the Rail Industry that you established.
I
Everyone that helped make those things possible was following in your (large) footsteps.....meaning that we felt a high level of commitment to the The Great Project --- whatever was the next 'Challenge' at the time......

Everyone on those various teams knew the gravity of the undertakings, we performed at high levels of achpievement --- because we all understood the Ross expected 'high-level' performance.  It was an incredible experience ESPECIALLY since 90% of the effort was VOLUNTARY, at its base,  even the paid-staff, worked with a fervor and passion that cannot be 'bought'.

I believe, it was Bob Claytor who saw the immensity, and intensity,  of the level of performance, and the professionalism of the whole team.  Bob's belief in what you promised you could do, is what lit the fire in his heart to bring a Class A back to life.
But, Bob knew that there was a series of steps that were necessary before he could realize his dream.

I had not understood, that Friday in December of '68,  how much was riding on getting the Big 2-6-6-4 out of Vermont and down to Roanoke.  It was on that quick round-trip (that you kicked me in the rear "to get BACK up there, NOW!!!") that I understood that the D&H crew, RFE Marv Davis, and the bunch were coming THAT Monday,  to take her out. 
Your emphasis on accomplishment was in your response to ME about how important THAT Engine was to Bob, and his dream.
Because you could get  him closer to his dream, he was then able to make a lot of things that came after, possible.

The message in all of that is --- having the ability to inspire willing folks to grasp the vision and the leadership principles of Great Endeavours, is the heart of getting remarkable things accomplished.
The Great Military leaders of history had that ability, a few political leaders had that ability, and a few Commercial Enterprises were led by folks who were able to relate folks and to inspire followers.  Patton, stands out in my mind: When he told Ike that he could be in Bastongne in 3 days with his whole 3rd Army --- in the middle of the most bitter December in a century---No one at Ike's conference table believed Patton could do it!  And said so.

Patton's men believed he could do it --- and that made ALL the difference.
When the Third Army DID get there in under 3 days,  God opened the skies for Patton, and his AAF had a real Turkey Shoot!

Patton, and his men, saved the GIs trapped in Bastongne, he saved the Port of Antwerp, and he saved Europe from an extended WW2.  [ my uncle, Army Col. Curtis Noble, was Commander of the Port Of Antwerp, at the time. It held immense stores of gasoline and weapons, if the Nazis had broken-out, there would have hell-to-pay!]

That inspirational ability is innate in a very few people, but it is what makes their character.
 I expect that we will get to experience another Great Rail Endeavor to pursue, in the near future.
But, if not, I, and so many others, have had a Great Ride!  I'd do it again, in a heartbeat!!

Wes C.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0717 seconds