Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Steam & Excursion > July 26 Ashtabula Special/765 Trip Report

Date: 07/26/15 20:37
July 26 Ashtabula Special/765 Trip Report
Author: RuleG

Today's Ashtabula Special was my first Norfolk Southern steam excursion.  We departed from Youngstown shortly after 9:00 am, first backing up and then pulling forward onto the ex-New York Central line to Ashtabula.  Plenty of people came out to watch and follow the excursion on this mostly sunny and not too hot day.  The scenery was farmlands, heavily wooded areas, a small lake and a wetland.

Approaching the stop in Ashtabula, the train pulled through the crossing of the ex-Nickel Plate Road, backed on a connecting track and then pulled forward on the former Nickel Plate towards a park where the train riders would layover for lunch and other activities.  It was great to ride on the former Nickel Plate behind 765, even if the total mileage was just around a mile.  A couple of Nickel Plate-style signals were still standing, too.

Lunch was good.  A male vocalist provided decent music entertainment.  The excursion patrons were invited to a church to see displays on Ashtabula's railroad history.  The displays focused on an effort to restore the ex-New York Central depot (along the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern line) and the worst railroad disaster involving a collapsed bridge (90+ fatalities) which occurred on the LS & MS in Ashtabula in 1876.  Here's a link with more information:

Ashtabula River Railroad Disaster

The return trip, departing shortly after 2:30 pm, went smoothly.  The timing worked out well to avoid rain which came down in the areas along the southern part of the route.  Those who came out to see the train included quite a few Mennonites.

As we approached the stop in Youngstown, the only freight we encountered, a southbound empty coal train, passed the excursion.

All-in-all, a very pleasant way to spend a Sunday in Northeastern Ohio.  Thank you Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society and Norfolk Southern for making this trip happen.

Several TO members have posted some very nice photos of this weekend's excursions, but here are three of mine from today:

1)  765 shortly after arriving in Ashtabula
2)  Nickel Plate-style signal
3)  Model of train and bridge in the Ashtabula River Railroad Disaster

Date: 07/27/15 19:47
Re: July 26 Ashtabula Special/765 Trip Report
Author: Tominde

Thanks for the onboard report.   I always appreciate these.   Nice to hear from people who ride the trains when things go smoothly.  Did you ride coach, first class dome?   Were there curves so you could see the engine? 

Date: 07/27/15 20:10
Author: RuleG

I rode first class in the Crescent Harbor, an ex-Southern Railway sleeper/lounge owned by the Watauga Valley Railroad Historical Society & Museum.  This was a wonderful car in which to ride.  As there are not many curves on the line and the car was towards the rear of the train, I caught a just couple of glimpses of the 765 when the train was negotiating sharp curves in Youngstown and Ashtabula.

Date: 07/28/15 11:31
Author: ExtraSouth

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I rode first class in the Crescent Harbor, an
> ex-Southern Railway sleeper/lounge owned by the
> Watauga Valley Railroad Historical Society &
> Museum.  This was a wonderful car in which to
> ride.  As there are not many curves on the line
> and the car was towards the rear of the train, I
> caught a just couple of glimpses of the 765 when
> the train was negotiating sharp curves in
> Youngstown and Ashtabula.
>
>  

Thanks for the compliments on the Crescent Harbor.  Our mechanical crew works hard to keep our cars in top shape. Glad you enjoyed riding in it.

Date: 07/28/15 14:21
Author: NKP779

After being through the entire train many times, including Manassas, I am convinced that the CRESCENT HARBOR is the most original and authentic car on the train.  Even the  hardware in the bathrooms is original, as best I can tell.  Great job Watauga Valley crew!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1954 seconds