Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Steam & Excursion > Dec. 1975, #4449 American Freedom train in San Francisco.

Date: 07/31/15 22:25
Dec. 1975, #4449 American Freedom train in San Francisco.
Author: weather

I have thousands of pictiures I took of #4449 over the years. I started in June of 1975 on the southbound journey at Klamath Falls. I beame an AFT volunteer in 1975 and since i lived in SF on Potrero Hill, I was algle to spend a lot of time with the engine, Doyle and Laurie McCormack.  During the day, I drove Laurie around in my car and we picked up everyones (AFT crew) laundry and took it to a laundrymat near 3rd and Townsend.  At night, i was on the engine at Aquatic Park listening to railroad stories told to me by Doyles Dad, Roy. He kept the spot fire going and I made sure no one was disturbing the engine.  The first image is taken late at night from the tender looking towards the cab. After a four day stay in SF at Crissy Field, the AFT consist left the City on December 17th, 1975 with NO helper..  I scouted several locations leaving the SF and I was looking for someplace where there were no other photographers. I am 68, and if YOU remember anything about the #4449; there were hundreths of folks shooting every move of the engine.  So I was trying to get a shot no one was planning to document.  While it is not the best shot I have ever taken, this one poking out ot Tunnel #! under Potreo Hill still one that like very much. Doyle was opening the throttle here and had lotds of stack talk.  The final image is one I took before the AFT passed 3rd and Townsend.   Todays AT&T Park is across King St. to the left of this photo.

Copyright, 2014, "All Rights Reserved."

Date: 08/02/15 02:12
Re: Dec. 1975, #4449 American Freedom train in San Francisco.
Author: atsf19455

Great shots. It reminds of this post I foudn while searching the archives with some amazing shots. I think especially poignant and fascinating is the shot of Bayshore from way up on the hill. Way to go getting that shot it's amazing you didn't develop the roll b/c it was a great shot!. http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3529341

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds